Gadget docking and charging station

Caro made a handy docking and charging station to store her gadgets and charge them at the same time. Keeps things in order too.

Caro says, "My desk was a mess with gizmos and their chargers. Plus, I needed a place to put my closed notebook when I'm at my desk and using a wireless keyboard, mouse and a monitor.

To make myself a combined docking and charging station, I used the Ikea Estetisk storage with compartments desk accessory.

First, I laid the Estetisk flat and I drilled a series of 3/4 inch holes in the back/bottom of the compartments and in the back/bottom panel. In the first photo you can see the holes on the back/bottom panel, but not the others. The wires which attach to a surge protector (e.g. phone charger) go through both holes and down the surge protector on the floor. The wires which attach to the computer only (e.g. headphones) go through only one hole, at the bottom/back of the compartment, then up to the side of the computer.


Second, I attached clear plastic 'gripping pads' from the hardware store, to elevate the computer a bit and to prevent it from slipping. These are visible, if you look carefully, in both photos.

Third, I bought some little pieces of 1/8 plywood and basswood from the hardware store - I think they are intended for crafters. I cut these to fit the cubbies and just glued them, to create more space. I now have space for my camera, ipod and nano, a bluetooth earpiece, headphones, a pda, and room left over for glasses. And all the extra wires are hidden in the back compartment. Someday I'll stain or paint so that everything matches."

Check out this stream