Simona and Flavius put the flatpack packaging to good use.
The idea occurred to me me when we returned from Ikea with several packages and after mounting the Expedits we really didn't know what to do with the cardboard packages, since the recycling center was far, far away and we wouldn't want to simply throw them out in the garbage bin (we try to be as eco-friendly as possible). Another thing was the we found the plastic boxes in Ikea a bit expensive and somehow ugly.
So I just started measuring the shelf and the cardboard, drawing lines, cutting and glueing together the pieces and I produced some boxes that fit perfectly. For an impeccable straight edge, use a wood panel to bend the cardboard after you've measured twice, of course. As for the glue, I used standard water-based cardboard glue, non-toxic for pets.
For the decoration, I went to the local DIY store and bought rolls of wallpaper to cover the boxes. I chose black with white stripes for the bedroom and the living room and stone patterns for the kitchen, to match the floor tiles. The final touch with adding various style handles so the boxes can be pulled out easily - you can also use chains for the handles or ribbons.
Pros: cheap, eco-friendly, easy to make, good looking (or so we think)
Cons: they are not as sturdy as plastic and they are not catproof - our cats already destroyed one by scratching, but I just made a new one.
Here are some pictures with the results for the living room - where we use the Expedit as a TV stand and the one in the kitchen - we don't really cook so we don't have a proper kitchen yet but we still need some storage space.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Great Room by KA Desig...
- DIY hacked cold frame for the garden
- Get dirrty.
- Bachelorette Pad Update
- Billy bird
- Hamptons Designer Showhouse: Rooms by Katie Ridder...
- What to do with the ugly side of things
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Dining Room by Marshal...
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Plans
- Ikea PS locker into litter box
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Screened Porch by Brad...
- Got Holes?
- Hamptons Designer Showhouse
- Recover your armchair
- What's in the box?
- Ikea blue shopping bag into messenger bag
- Connecticut Classic: HB Home
- Monday fun!
- Habitually Chic Field Trip to Connecticut!
- Making your plain books pretty.
- Armchair Shopping With Willow Decor
- Edith Bouvier Beale Book
- Bon Weekend!
- Desk for IKEA Lo bed
- A Visit with Covetable Designs
- Bonde sideboard
- Clearing out the clutter.
- Off the Beaten Path in Paris
- Cijaye gets the Perfekt scrapbooking room
- Spectacular Pool Houses!
- Leksvik craft table
- Chic and Comfortable
- Ordning cutlery stand lamp
- House Beautiful Kitchen of the Year
- When FAB happens by accident. (And for FREE.)
- Plagarism is Not Chic
- Another Peek in to Linda Banks Home
- Merci beaucoup!
- Versailles à vélo
- The September Issue
- Grono gets some legs
- Oh la la ... it's a beauty
- The World in Vogue
- No More Mondays
- Art Lovers and other things...
- Fashionably Chic
- This is no wallflower
- Georgia Tapert House Tour
- Conglomerate media desk
- The details of the deck.
- Don't judge a book by its cover...
- In Memoriam: Julius Shulman (1910-2009)
- Rast bedside table turned printer rack
- J.Crew Fall 2009
- Hacked desk from Mikael drawer units
- A Peek into Linda Banks' Kitchen
- Habitually Chic Boutique: Etos
- One for fat candles
- A felt cover for Grono
- A deck reveal!
- Stockholm TV unit with glass doors
- An easy to DIY TV stand
- A leg up for this coffee table
- Vive la France!
- Dotted Regolit lamp shade
- I can't resist a par-tay!
- Back in the High Line Again
- Summer Showering Outdoors
- Triple Threat Miles Fisher
- Blog Anniversary!
- Table runner pillows.
- Gone Shoppin'
- Recycled play kitchen
- More play kitchens
- Vintage style play kitchen
- Billy can play too
- Placemat pillows
- Expedit storage and room divider from HGTV guy
- Summer Reading List
- Expedit bookcase cover up
- Christopher Peacock Returns!
- Waste not the flatpack boxes
- Ikea Expedit Asian inspired entertainment center
- Tips for a Stylish Summer...
- Bon Appetit!
- Our unfinished finished basement.
- I. am. pooped.
- Back to Work
- Twin to queen bed
- Retail therapy.
- Happy 4th of July Weekend!
- Landing strip storage with "face recognition"
- Danish Wedding Plans
- Weekend Chic
- A TV unit rerun
- ▼ July (95)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)