Uh oh.

This could be a problem...I may have developed a new obsession today. I decided a long time ago I wanted to redo the tile on our master bedroom fireplace. We picked out the tile when we built the house, but it's always bothered me. It had a peachy tone that drove me nuts...



I thought it would be a relatively cheap project. But after looking into it I realized it had the potential of costing hundreds of dollars, even though only about 20 square feet of tile was needed. The tiles I found (I was looking for something unusual) were going to end up at $600 or more.

So I took another trip to trusty Lowes and found just what I wanted. A tumbled stone in small mosiac squares -- it had all the colors in it that I wanted and I found slate tile to go on the hearth that worked perfectly with it. Total cost was $90 for the mosiac tiles and $22 for the slate.

I was going to try to do the project myself but my father-in-law insisted -- he is an expert at it (used to do it for a living) and I was happy to have him do it. They did the work today and I am THRILLED with the result:




Ohhhh my goodness, I am so excited. They will grout it tomorrow and then in a week I can seal it. Sealing makes it look like it's wet and makes all of the colors even deeper and prettier.
Problem is, I'm looking all over the house to find places I can tile now. I have extra scrapes of the mosiac tile and I am dying to use it somewhere! I think our foyer may be an upcoming project now that I've seen the difference tile can make. I think I may be able to do it myself too. This is not good! :)

Check out this stream