It constantly amazes me how Ikea hackers find new ways to use good old Ikea goodies. Aaron Bell and wife Corinne design a cozy Ikea home for a few cute chicks.
He says, "My wife and I recently got into urban chicken farming and built a coop for them almost completely out of materials from Ikea."
We used the following Ikea products:
- Mydal bunk bed
- Trofast storage unit with shallow drawers
- Vika Oleby legs
- Gorm bottle rack
The coop frame is made from the bunk bed. We hacked the supports to make mounting the roof easier, and used the leftover slats from the top bunk for the side paneling. The storage unit with drawers is being
used for the chicken's beds, and I used more leftover wood to construct the hinged door on the side to make egg collection easier.
The front door is also leftover wood from the bed. Once the frame was assembled, we weatherproofed the frame, as the bunk bed wood comes unfinished from Ikea. Also, we laid down plywood for the floor of the
coop, using slats for support.
The bottle rack made a very nice (and cheap) ramp up to the beds, and the legs provide extra support for the heavy storage unit.
The only non-Ikea pieces we used were the mesh, plywood/beams for the roof (which is 3x coated with reflective paint in an attempt to keep the heat out), and the hardware for the hinges and latches.
We hung the feeder and waterer from the roof with a very simple washer / bolt / s-hook hack job. All told, this project took a month's worth of weekends, and was a blast to complete.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Squares and stripes
- Bob Collins at Todd Romano
- Cheers, it's a Kegerator!
- Antony Todd on Sale
- It. was. awesome.
- At Home in Argentina
- Compact music studio
- Ghost Chair Metamorphosis
- Habitually Chic Boutique: Etiqueta Negra
- In Atlanta!
- Check HER out!
- Castle Crush
- Add light to this watering can
- Free paint?!
- Habitually Chic Movie of the Week: Cheri
- Finding a Niche for a Home Office
- Cosy nook for the bed
- Similar Style
- I want to ride my bicycle...
- Floating computer desk
- My fruity kitchen.
- Lauren Moffatt Online Sample Sale
- Haus Interior
- Bookcases to bay window seat
- Surf's Up!
- Ikea strainer Wi-Fi antenna
- Gumball fish tank
- Happy Summer!
- A Perfect Match
- Happy Father's (and Belated Mother's) Day!
- HUE by Kelly Wearstler
- Wet Weekend
- Hackea: A $2.99 laptop stand and more
- Giveaway! And another giveaway!
- Meet Monelle
- Whitney Art Party Wrap Up
- Ikea home for chicks
- Art Party
- Hand embroidered Svenning chair
- One dollar kitchen decor.
- Stefano Tonchi Lives Large
- Studio Sofield
- Stockholm shadows on the wall
- Thomas O'Brien: Part Deux
- Hardware in the Christopher Peacock Style Kitchen
- An armchair to go
- Thomas O'Brien: American Modern
- The cutest little bench you ever did see.
- Ugallery Winner!
- Coffey Creek Farm
- Hang with these hackeas
- Another lamp transformation!
- Tastemaker's Tag Sale: Hamptons Edition
- A Bekvam and Molger bathroom remodel
- Summertime Blues
- Outdoor cooking with the Varde
- Constructive criticism (?!)
- Ana Ros
- Venny Notebook Bag
- Thank you!
- Catching the sun with the Solig mobile
- Oh Baby Update
- Decor Medley Interview
- How to paint laminate.
- Art Smart: June Ugallery Picks and Giveaway
- Slettvoll Summer
- Suzanne Kasler for Hickory Chair
- Hickory Chair Factory Tour: Day 2
- Two summer totes
- All things PAINT!
- Hickory Chair Factory Tour: Day One
- 3 Ikea hackeas with stickers
- Not Your Grandmother's Hickory Chair
- Bat hacking
- I'm Back Y'all!
- Gettin' my craft on.
- Catalano Architects' Oyster Harbor Home
- Varde goes on the LA Times
- ▼ June (79)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)