Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Materials: Oddvar stool
Description: I recently purchased an Orgel lamp, but was dissatisfied with it's height - it needed a boost. Looking around ikea, I discovered the ODDVAR stool, which was the perfect height (and price). I felt the unfinished pine was a bit dull, but I didn't want to stain/paint it either. I had heard of wood burning and decided to try it out.
Here's what you'll need:
propane torch (make sure to get a thin canister so it's easier to hold)
Medium grain sandpaper
Fine grain sandpaper
1. Assemble the stool.
2. Using the medium grain sandpaper, gently sand the entire piece. This helps with the buring process.
3. *use extreme caution- and perform these steps outside!* Now light the blowtorch. Barely turn the gas on, you don't want a fireball! Adjust the flame till it's about 2 inches long.
4. Go to town on the stool. Try to keep the flame moving for even burning. Keep in mind that you will sand off a bit of the color, so it will end up lighter as a finished product. NOTE: some sap may work its way out of the wood and flame up for a bit - particularly around the knots.
5. After desired color has been achieved, re-sand the stool with the medium grain to remove soot and excess char.
6. Make sure to remove any dust left from the sanding. At this point I simply added a coat of polyurethane. However, if you would like to stain the piece, here is where you would do it(before the polyurethane). Allow to dry 2-3 hours.
7. Using the fine grain sandpaper, gently sand the stool again. NOTE: it's best to use a face mask, as polyurethane contains toxic elements not good for inhalation!
8. Add a final coat of polyurethane and allow to dry.
~ Amanda B.
- Month in review!
- An Expedit-ed Workspace
- Summer Rerun
- Vika Curry speaker stand
- Gorgeous Grisaille!
- Cake FAIL
- Silhouette and Crate & Barrel winners!
- Counter Space
- Stool in the Japanese style
- Tory Burch's Chic Seoul Boutique
- Chic in the Heat: Part Deux
- Bomull became roman
- Chic in the Heat
- Serena & Lily: Not Just for Kids Anymore
- Portrait of a Rider
- A heightened headboard
- Cabinet to hide the boiler and fuse box
- Red, white and blue door decor!
- Equestrian Chic
- Loft bed frame and elevated laptop stand
- Stolmen curtain pole
- Stolmen bike rack the return
- Polo: The Sport of Kings and Nomads
- Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
- Labels make me happy
- I want to go to there.
- Billy bar table
- Magazine rack
- Hot Town
- Candle dish birdbath
- Silhouette Craft Cutter Giveaway!
- One of My Secret Shopping Spots!
- Eat Pray Love
- Tupplur blinds used to display vintage destination...
- EXPEDITion Guatemala
- The Italian Touch
- Silver leaf dresser
- Broder bike hack
- I Am Love: Villa Necchi Campiglio
- Girls’ weekend
- Multi-level work table
- Thom Filicia Fabrics
- DVF Home Collection
- Bella in Barcelona
- Happy Father's Day!
- Golden Girl
- Walk-in closet using Pax Malm doors
- AMEX Crate & Barrel giveaway!
- Love, Chloé
- More kitchen drawers!
- Organized Jewelry
- Chic Read: Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.
- Upside down Billy bookcase
- Bathroom to Computer room using Kitchen Cupboards
- Fashionable Fabrics: Oscar de la Renta for Lee Jof...
- Rustic stool
- Comment love
- Rationell Variera: from scrap to tunnel
- July in Provence
- Hacking Malm Nightstands in a workstation
- Expedit's were made for sleepin'
- The Rug Company Redo
- I hate laundry
- Korean guitar pedalboard
- Claude Monet: Late Work
- How to make a Laptop Riser for watching movies and...
- A Reader's Edwardian Townhouse in London!
- Creating a Luxury Bath Experience
- Giveaway weekend!
- The Lion's Chic Tonight
- Coffee table turned night stands
- OKL Tastemaker Tag Sale: Bunny WIlliams
- Chic Necklaces
- Ikea Handmades
- Kitchen table gone couch table
- A beadboard backsplash
- Abstract Expressionism New York
- Pottery Barn inspired Ikea Hack
- INAM conference table
- Work of Art: Part Deux
- LACK side tables go to new heights!
- Showing off
- Work of Art
- Autumnal mini-chest
- Hanging file boxes
- Carry On Only!
- Hol cat food station
- Speaking of Chanel...
- Loft Bed Hack
- Coco and Igor
- If MIKAEL was an ANEBODA wardrobe
- Small Lack media furniture with speaker camouflage...
- Oscar de la Renta Resort 2011 Round Up
- Industrial-Modern guest chairs
- Before and After Party: Strawberry Jam!
- It Girl: Gaia Repossi
- Billy doors = picture frames
- Oscar de la Renta Resort 2011
- Rock and moss filled glass vases as table legs
- PS HTPC
- ▼ June (126)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)