Friday, June 25, 2010
Materials: MALM and Magasin
Description: Here are two of my Ikea hacks.
The first is a bed frame I made...
I recently moved from a house into a small apartment, and needed somewhere to store all of my things, but still wanted a clean, clutter-free look. Ikea had the answer. I simply found a chest of drawers that I liked from Ikea, and bought four of them - the MALM 3 drawer chest. I then built a simple bed frame to sit on top, and turned it into bed with 50 cubic feet of storage space underneath (including the drawers)!!
The frame wasn't hard to build:
I measured a queen sized mattress, and cut large pieces of lumber to fit around that. Those exterior pieces of lumber were reinforced in the corners. Then I got smaller pieces of wood (2x2's, I think) and attached them so they'd run along each inside edge of those exterior pieces. Then I placed 2x4's on top of those runners, and they reached from one end of the frame to the other, acting as slats for the platform. Once the slats were in place, I just placed a large piece of chip board on top! I also added a couple other finishing touches, such as adding small pieces of wood to the inside edges of the chest of drawers, where I cut out a notch, which I used to hang a small curtain on a dowel to hide the spaces.
My second hack is a laptop stand...
This hack is extremely easy. I simply started with a Magasin wooden dish drainer from Ikea, and cut off the longer supporting legs on the "back" side. Then I attached it to a wall using Command 3M small wire hooks, and voila!! I used 5 of these strips because I wanted to be sure it would support the weight of my laptop. I really like the look of a floating laptop, and this dish drainer worked perfectly.
I can also remove the laptop stand from the wall completely if I wish, or fold it up completely. Or, I can fold the top portion up and use it to support a text book on the lower portion. Or finally, I place the laptop on the top portion, and either fold up the bottom portion, or use it to store my mouse, wireless keyboard, etc. Very versatile!
See more photos here.
~ Angie Andrade, Stillwater, OK
- Month in review!
- An Expedit-ed Workspace
- Summer Rerun
- Vika Curry speaker stand
- Gorgeous Grisaille!
- Cake FAIL
- Silhouette and Crate & Barrel winners!
- Counter Space
- Stool in the Japanese style
- Tory Burch's Chic Seoul Boutique
- Chic in the Heat: Part Deux
- Bomull became roman
- Chic in the Heat
- Serena & Lily: Not Just for Kids Anymore
- Portrait of a Rider
- A heightened headboard
- Cabinet to hide the boiler and fuse box
- Red, white and blue door decor!
- Equestrian Chic
- Loft bed frame and elevated laptop stand
- Stolmen curtain pole
- Stolmen bike rack the return
- Polo: The Sport of Kings and Nomads
- Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
- Labels make me happy
- I want to go to there.
- Billy bar table
- Magazine rack
- Hot Town
- Candle dish birdbath
- Silhouette Craft Cutter Giveaway!
- One of My Secret Shopping Spots!
- Eat Pray Love
- Tupplur blinds used to display vintage destination...
- EXPEDITion Guatemala
- The Italian Touch
- Silver leaf dresser
- Broder bike hack
- I Am Love: Villa Necchi Campiglio
- Girls’ weekend
- Multi-level work table
- Thom Filicia Fabrics
- DVF Home Collection
- Bella in Barcelona
- Happy Father's Day!
- Golden Girl
- Walk-in closet using Pax Malm doors
- AMEX Crate & Barrel giveaway!
- Love, Chloé
- More kitchen drawers!
- Organized Jewelry
- Chic Read: Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.
- Upside down Billy bookcase
- Bathroom to Computer room using Kitchen Cupboards
- Fashionable Fabrics: Oscar de la Renta for Lee Jof...
- Rustic stool
- Comment love
- Rationell Variera: from scrap to tunnel
- July in Provence
- Hacking Malm Nightstands in a workstation
- Expedit's were made for sleepin'
- The Rug Company Redo
- I hate laundry
- Korean guitar pedalboard
- Claude Monet: Late Work
- How to make a Laptop Riser for watching movies and...
- A Reader's Edwardian Townhouse in London!
- Creating a Luxury Bath Experience
- Giveaway weekend!
- The Lion's Chic Tonight
- Coffee table turned night stands
- OKL Tastemaker Tag Sale: Bunny WIlliams
- Chic Necklaces
- Ikea Handmades
- Kitchen table gone couch table
- A beadboard backsplash
- Abstract Expressionism New York
- Pottery Barn inspired Ikea Hack
- INAM conference table
- Work of Art: Part Deux
- LACK side tables go to new heights!
- Showing off
- Work of Art
- Autumnal mini-chest
- Hanging file boxes
- Carry On Only!
- Hol cat food station
- Speaking of Chanel...
- Loft Bed Hack
- Coco and Igor
- If MIKAEL was an ANEBODA wardrobe
- Small Lack media furniture with speaker camouflage...
- Oscar de la Renta Resort 2011 Round Up
- Industrial-Modern guest chairs
- Before and After Party: Strawberry Jam!
- It Girl: Gaia Repossi
- Billy doors = picture frames
- Oscar de la Renta Resort 2011
- Rock and moss filled glass vases as table legs
- PS HTPC
- ▼ June (126)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)