I sometimes have a hard time explaining to people what it's really like to live and work in New York. The amount of wealth here is staggering but it's kind of like living in fantasy land. I decorate summer homes that are bigger than most American's main homes. It's a bit ridiculous and you really just have to laugh sometimes at the absurdity of it all. Especially when you start to think that a $500, 000 studio is actually quite reasonable. That's why I recommend reading The Sky's the Limit: Passion and Property in Manhattan by Steven Gaines.
One of my favorite stories is about One Sutton Place South (above), whose residents included Bill Blass, Sigourney Weaver, Carolyne Roehm, and of course, C.Z. Guest (below). Guest lived with her family in the famous penthouse apartment which was unceremoniously stripped of it's former glory by hedge fund president Richard Perry and his wife Lisa. It was featured in September 2002 Vogue and the slick and stark white modern monstrosity can also be seen in the new Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People.
If I've learned anything from the interior design world in New York, it's that nouveau riche don't understand history nor do they care to learn. Hence the proliferation of historic homes that are razed to make room for McMansions. But I digress. The chapter on Sutton Place is also filled with great stories about the popular interior designers of the day including Dorothy Draper and Elsie de Wolfe that I know my fellow design junkies will appreciate. The book might also make you realize that how the other half lives isn't all it's cracked up to be.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- please take a seat
- My Life in a Nutshell!
- When it rains, it pours...
- hackeas: ideas that make you go 'why didn't i thin...
- Giuseppe Panza: Memories of a Collector
- Kips Bay Decorator Show House 2008
- Greek Revival Pool House
- Habitually Chic Designer: David Lawrence
- hopen to store all your dvds?
- Spring International Art & Antiques Show
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse - Part One
- sandrine's show and tell
- It's Here!
- You Know You Love It!
- crochet table decorations
- Happy Earth Day!
- fancy lamp at a down to earth price
- How the Other Half Lives
- an armoire to organize craft supplies
- The World According to Ralph
- And one to grow on...
- glam up your glimt
- one hack of a cover up
- It's Never too Late to Start!
- Habitually Chic Nina Griscom
- stitch witch to the rescue
- Beautiful Tables
- gather round the breakfast bar
- Meet Michelle Adams of Rubie Green
- Become Your Dream
- duvet cover to jacket
- as-is: bar table with 3 stools going for $35
- Shopping on Lexington
- New York in Bloom!
- under counter cd storage
- My New Favorite Designer: Darryl Carter
- the well lit living room
- selamat design offer and a chat with date my house...
- NathanEgan Interiors
- rose wardrobe closet
- Au Currant
- boring room for your kid? here's what jo did!
- I Heart John Derian - Part Deux
- rug based anti-development humor
- I Heart John Derian!
- Spring has Finally Sprung in New York!
- and this is how you should do a loft
- Swedish Kitchens from Kvänum Kok
- just as versatile: the lack shelving unit
- Spring Pleasures
- stuff you can do with lack shelves
- Josephine Ryan and the French Home
- The Color Red!
- same table, different styles
- ▼ April (54)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)