My View at Derek Lam

Only fashion could get me up and out of the house at 8:00am on a chilly Sunday morning.  Estee Lauder was kind enough to invite me backstage at the Derek Lam show and I'm excited to share my behind the scenes experience with you.  It's amazing how much work goes into a ten minute runway show. Tom Pecheux, Estee Lauder Creative Makeup Director, was shown sketches and fabric swatches prior to the show and created a few different options for the makeup.  He and Derek then worked together to finalize the look which can be seen tacked to the mirror above. Like the clothing he said, it is "sophisticated, feminine, and minimal without being boring."
It was very exciting to watch Tom Pecheux work his magic while describing the process. Even the way he applied moisturizer was mesmerizing.

Of course, all the products were Estee Lauder including the new Idealist Skintone Illuminator that will launch this summer.

A look at the long beauty table.

Tom Pecheux told a story about model Stella Tennant who once arrived from another show in tears.  She was crying because of how ugly the previous makeup artist had made her look.  It was at that moment that Tom said he realized that he didn't ever want to make the models not feel beautiful.  I thought this was really sweet.

Orlando Pita was also backstage working his hair magic.

There is a lot of multi-tasking that goes on before a show and it's quite chaotic.  I spent most a lot of time trying to not be in the way or get trampled by the photographers.  Although, as I joked on Twitter, perhaps I should have let them trample me because they are usually the only straight me at fashion week!

The nails were painted by the team of Jin Soon Choi for Estee Lauder in a winter white shade called Porcelain that will debut this fall.

Another look at the beauty team at work. Beyond the curtain lies the dressing area with the clothes.

Tom Pecheux said that the makeup look for a fashion is show is about creating a statement and having fun. 

The Estee Lauder eyeshadow used was a combination of silver mettalic and black shimmer that will also debut this fall.

Tom said this is more of a night look and he kept the face matte and the lips beige.  After all the bright lips for spring, it seems like they will be paler for fall.

“This look is very versatile; it almost changes with your movement. The silver metal on the eye reminds me of modern architecture, hard and strong and plays delicately against Derek’s minimal but sophisticated collection. These clothes, you want to keep forever,” described Pecheux, “This look is very confident and lovely.  It evokes the fantasy of the Derek Lam woman.”  Tom poses with Estee Lauder models Constance Jablonski, Liu Wen and Joan Smalls.

A slightly blurry shot of the model board.  While I was backstage, I ran into Emily Weiss writes the fabulous beauty blog Into the Gloss who was also covering the action.

One of the most exciting thing about being backstange is seeing the clothing before everyone else sees it on the runway. When I asked Derek what inspired him for fall he said it was the George Balanchine quote, "There are no new steps, only new combinations." He also said that he didn't want a crazy pop of color for fall but instead "something that would translate into a woman's wardrobe. Colors that would mix in with greys, black and camel."

Each outfit is steamed, de-linted and carefully hung along side a card that lists the model, number in the line up and accessories. 

As I mentioned in another post, red is a hot color for fall 2011.  This tomato red and a blue shade not shown were absolutely gorgeous in person.  I mentioned how much I loved them and Derek told me that they were inspired by the classic colors of uniforms.

Derek Lam is also an Aries and rams appear on many of his hangbags.  I think I need to buy myself one!

Grey is another big color for fall.

All of the shoes had labels with the model's nams in them to prevent confusion.  I was really impressed by the organization and sense of calm before the show in this area.

My all time favorite coat from fashion week!

Derek Lam was interview by many before the show including Moda Operandi here.  I was beyond honored that he took a minute to speak with me. 

Derek being interviewed by Louise Roe for Elle.com.

I was invited to stay for the runway show and this is a look at the calm before the storm!

I spotted interior designer Nate Berkus and his mother in the front row.

Others in the front row included Joanna Coles, editor in chief of Marie Claire, Nina Garcia, Aerin Lauder of Estee Lauder, and Linda Fargo of Bergdorf Goodman.

I ran into J.Crew creative director Jenna Lyons looking very chic.  I also happned to sit next to Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power of Who What Wear but I wasn't quite sure it was them until after the show.  I wish I had known earlier so I could have talked to them about their new book What to Wear Where.

Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and her daughter Bee Shaffer sitting front row near Bill Cunningham.

Big thanks to Estee Lauder and Derek Lam for this wonderful treat during fashion week.  For complete coverage of all the looks, visit Style.com or Vogue.com.

Beauty photos courtesy of Estee Lauder and all others by Heather Clawson for Habitually Chic

Check out this stream