Friday, February 4, 2011
Materials: Melodi lamp
Description: It is quite simple hack transforming dull Melodi lamp into large and unique triple shade.
The goal was to keep it cheap. For this reason Melodi was great (cost around 4 Euro per piece. After hack it looks more $ophi$ticated :)
You will need:
- 3 x MELODI lamps
- about 200-250 gams of feather (I bought mine in online store with florist and wedding accesories. Cost about 8 Euro)
- bottle of transparent universal glue
- some thin steel line (length dependant on hanging height)
- few electric connectors (some to be extracted from plastic insulator)
- basic hand tools, small drill ~3mm
Hope that my drawings will help.
First drill small holes (~3mm) in tops of all shades. Now you can glue feathers to them (that is the boring part). When glue is drying you can make all electric connections. First cut all 3 ledas about 15 cm from bulb socket. remove insulation and connect all 3 to double electric connector. To its other side connect cable that goes to ceiling. Insulate the connection with tape. Ceiling cable should be long enough to stay loose when lamp is hanging. After lamp is assembled you will be able to hide cable conection between 3 shades.
Now fixing system. cut 3 pieces of steel line about 10 cm long and fix extracted cable connector on one end. Then pull them through small holes in the shades. Connect all three with another connector and pull them tight. Now main rope. Pull it through ceiling cover and make 2 loops to fix it to ceiling hook and triple shade. Remember about another connetot on yhis line to fix ceiling cover in place (it will not be stable on cable, because it has to stay loose.
Now you can put everything together, hide the electric connection inside triple shade and install the lamp. Important - it must be hanging on steel line only. Cable has to stay loose!
See more photos of the Feather lamp.
~ kedzil, Poland
- Thrifting “lady date”
- Blue Monday
- Double Lack
- Gorgeous Gucci
- Ivar Studio Desk
- Coffee table advance
- Oscar 2011 Best Dressed
- Introducing Peanut
- Oscars Greenroom
- DIY Slide Projector
- Dreaming in Brick
- Lack Bistro Table
- They don't make them like they used to...
- Modern dining room lightning
- Kitchen Island Beauty
- Half-pint Effektiv holds computer and subwoofer fo...
- 10,000(!) and month in review
- Tolsby - A cheap and easy earring display
- RETUR goes to bed
- The Chic Beach at Soho Beach House
- Mark Your Calendar: Kips Bay Decorator Show House ...
- My cherry blossom lantern, inspired by Joey
- Spring has Sprung at Talbots
- Corner workstation
- Photographs: My favorite art
- Baby Crib with open shelving
- Somewhere to hang my ... glass
- Chic in Miami: Soho Beach House
- Wardrobe hiding wires and fuse
- EXPEDIT wardrobe with plants
- IKEA LACK Tables become wall art
- Chic in Miami: Cecconi's
- Mood light panel
- Organize It Party!
- When Ikea doesn't make a small enough cabinet
- Chic Christian Louboutin Boutique
- Candleholder vs. towelholder
- Build a Rietveld-inspired chair with NUMERAR count...
- Bastian of Chic
- Gallant Standing Desk
- Sponsor Spotlight: Creations by Kage
- SMILA SOL Ceiling Fan
- Spice it Up! Klippan Sofa
- Chic and Cozy Cottage
- Sater 2.5 seat sofa to leather chair
- Winners and project FAIL
- Stainless bowl hanging planter
- Bettina Ballard's Busy Day
- Upholstered Lack coffee table
- Stolmen Floating TV Stand, So Simple Anybody Can D...
- The Front Row
- Southern Charm Mason Jar Chandelier
- My View at Derek Lam
- Nyttja frame becomes a notice board
- Charlotte's Chic Homes
- Alex Cooling
- Dolly bunkbed
- One linen closet down
- Chic at Fashion Week
- Lack 2.0
- A little love from IKEA
- FROSTA speaker stands
- Cute bulletin board
- NYFW Fall 2011: Tory Burch
- A Walk Through Nassau
- Hamster-Villa above TV
- Pretty in Pink: Government House
- Plastic Bag Trash Receptacle
- Torked-out Multi-Ribba Technicolour Backlit Featur...
- COLOR! (in the living room)
- What Every Princess Wants for Valentine's Day!!!
- Expedit Baby Closet
- Billy Tobo hybrid TV unit
- Ralph Lauren at Sea
- Dakota Jackson at Sea
- Vika corner desk and banish cable clutter
- Chic Ship Interiors
- Stunning Coastal Exterior and Interior Renovation
- Oceania Cruises: They had me at Ahoy!
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Bygel Hanging Shower Rack Hack
- Spectacular Pool Pavilion
- Measuring Light
- online consultations!
- I'm back!
- Standing Desks on the cheap
- Floating Bathroom Shelf Made with Kee Klamp and La...
- Fun in the Sun
- Puppy Proofing for Small Spaces
- Searching for a sofa
- Dead fridge goes Rationell (retrofitting old cabin...
- Another Edland bathroom vanity
- 1 1/2 Billy entertainment centre
- How to cover a brick glass wall with SNÖVITA gift ...
- Chic in Shades
- The "Bed Above Your Head" Pot Rack
- Happy Hour Hensvik
- Governor of the Bahamas
- ▼ February (141)
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)