Housing Works Design on a Dime Disco

You know an event is a success when you have to walk through the make shift dance floor to leave. I can definitely say that a good time was had by all at the Housing Works Design on a Dime Opening Night Party! There is no better way to spend an evening than shopping with friends to benefit a great cause too! Housing Works invited me to attend as Press which was a good thing since I got to walk around and photograph the room vignettes before the place was overtaken by bargain shoppers. It wasn't exactly a mad dash like the Filene's Basement wedding dress sale but it was kind of close! I owe a big thank you to my friend Jessica Gold who came with me and took notes and helped with the photography. I learned my lesson after Kips Bay that's it's why too hard to do it all so I really appreciated her assistance!

If you read my blog, you know that I almost never post party photos of myself. It's just not my thing. I always joke that party photos should only be seen on Patrick McMullen where they belong but when Jaclyn Smith, your favorite Charlie's Angel, tells you that she likes your dress (thanks Phillip Lim!) and insists that you get in the photo with her, you really can't say no! When I mentioned meeting her to people, they all said that they heard she is the nicest person and she really is! She was so gracious and generous with her time and gave her undivided attention to everyone who came up to her. She left around the same I did and I could tell that she was tired but she never let on the entire night. She was a trooper and I know everyone at Housing Works was so happy to have her be apart of their big night!

I mentioned to Ms. Smith that I thought it was a shame that the media sometimes gives actors and models a hard time for wanting to do clothing and homes lines because I know that a lot of creative people aren't just creative in one area. She mentioned that she started her clothing line for Kmart over 20 years ago which I cannot even believe but I can already tell her furniture line will probably be around for just as long. Jaclyn Smith not just some celebrity who put her name on something. She is very much involved with her lines and it shows. They are very designed and in this economy are just what people need.

Ty Pennington was also gracious and posed for a quick photo in front of his line for Sears.

That other big retailer, who shall remain nameless since they weren't a sponsor, may get all the press but I have to say that Sears and Kmart design really great products and I am definitely going to stop in the next time I am home.

I've been a huge fan of Suze Yalof Swartz from not only Glamour but also Full Frontal Fashion so it was fun to finally meet her in person! She has to be the sunniest and happiest person in New York which is amazing since everyone know that most New Yorkers a cynical bunch! I've known that she reads my blog because she is obsessed with home design which I think is funny. My friend Jessica who was with me also works in fashion and is obsessed with home design and I work in design and am obsessed with fashion! We decided it must be that people get bored by what they see everyday and the other seems more fresh and exciting. Oh, and another fashionista who is obsessed with interior design is blogger Nicole Gibbons who writes So Haute. She actually recognized me at the event which I still can't get over. We've made plans to get together and dish about design soon and I can't wait!

You'll remember that Suze's apartment was featured in Domino and she told me that she is trying to recreate it now in a new apartment in the same building. Her old one was full of green so I told her that she had to check out the room of interior designer and shop owner Elizabeth Bauer. Her room was very popular and you can see why! I got to chat with Elizabeth via email before the event and she said, "my room is a mini-version of my store - all bright colors and mid-century American furniture covered in designer fabrics. I strive to make my designs one of a kind, incorporating vintage high and low end pieces and adding my own modern flair."

She also had raves for Housing Works, "as for Design on A Dime, it is my favorite design event of the year for selfish and selfless reasons at the same time; I can find amazing things at amazing prices and 100% of the proceeds go to an incredible organization. I have bought so many unique pieces at Housing Works over the years." I can't wait to stop into Elizabeth's shop and see her design work. Look for a profile on her soon!

I want to remind everyone that the event is free and open to the public through Saturday, May 9th and I hope you will all stop by and buy something to help out Housing Works. Thanks to all the great designers and stores that participated in Housing Works Design on a Dime! There is really nothing better than shopping for a great cause!

Check out this stream