when you want a fancy slipcover but can't afford a bemz, why not try stenciling it yourself? villain did just that.
villain writes, "i just moved into a loft in boston and refurbished my old klippan sofa along with a tullsta chair. inspired by bemz slipcovers (way too expensive for a couple of grad students, sadly!), i went to work using a stencil and jacquard fabric paint.
i actually just used the $20 cream slipcover from ikea! as for the stencils, i got them at joann.com (lame i know, but stencils can be hard to find!) and used a large stencil brush with jacquard fabric paint from dickblick.
i put the slipcover on the sofa and painted in a circular motion, from the outside to the inside. i varied the amount of paint to create images that were either more substantial or more shadowy. the fabric paint should be heat set, so i ironed the slipcover on the reverse and then scotchguarded the dickens out of it just to be safe.
the chair is not really 'iron-able' (save the cushions) so it got a heavy scotchguard treatment too. pretty simple, really. i also sewed a few throw/floor pillows, and now everything is starting to come together!"
see more on villain's blog.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- Happy New Year from New York!
- and so we've come to the end...
- 2007 from the rear view mirror
- Ready for Take Off
- a new bathroom for a new year
- stencil your slipcovers for a fresh new look
- a kickass litterbox cabinet
- Winter in Stockholm
- make an ivar trellis
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!
- Santa Baby
- glamorized isig christmas ornaments
- The Design Police
- ikea gorm art
- If You Dream It...It Will Come
- a simple mod on the lack tv unit
- sylvie's delightful green bathroom
- m2jl's ikea hacks
- Something for the Boys
- New Elle Decor
- Elle Decor Cover News
- Peter Som for Bill Blass
- a doctor's front desk
- brighten your room with holiday lighting hacks
- A Few of My Favorite Things: Winter Edition
- dennis the menace returns in an ikea stool
- Another One Bites the Dust
- Bonjour Paree!
- a canoe canopy
- Christmas at Biltmore
- make your own kitchen island with breakfast counte...
- calling for canadian hackers!
- Paris Review Auction
- Busy Avenue of Life
- Members Only
- how to raise the dining standards for your dog
- New Design Crush!
- are you game for this chair?
- omar pot rack
- Happy Hanukkah!
- a galant coffee table
- Elliott Puckette and Hugo Guinness
- an indoor greenhouse and other ideas for living wi...
- Christmas at the Townhouse
- what are your favourite gifts from ikea?
- hacking a turtle terrarium
- ▼ December (47)
- ► 2006 (137)