I want to wish a Happy Hanukkah to all my Jewish friends and readers! For those who don't know, the eight-day celebration of Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, commemorates the triumph of the Jews over their oppressors in ancient Israel. According to legend, when the Jews reclaimed their temple, they found only enough oil to create light for one day, but the oil lasted for eight days. The lighting of Hanukkah candles symbolizes that miracle.
Sitting down to a Hanukkah meal with family and friends is as significant a part of the celebration as lighting the menorah candles. Like the candles, the oil used to fry potato latkes and cook the traditional jam-filled doughnuts, called sufganiyot, recalls the miracle in the temple. After dinner, the children play dreidel, a game that uses a four-sided top with a Hebrew letter on each side. The letters are the initials of the words that together mean "a great miracle happened there."
The latkes alone make me wish I was Jewish and Martha Stewart has a great recipe. I always think it's a nice and thoughtful gesture to learn about and experience the traditions of another. Enjoy!
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- Happy New Year from New York!
- and so we've come to the end...
- 2007 from the rear view mirror
- Ready for Take Off
- a new bathroom for a new year
- stencil your slipcovers for a fresh new look
- a kickass litterbox cabinet
- Winter in Stockholm
- make an ivar trellis
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!
- Santa Baby
- glamorized isig christmas ornaments
- The Design Police
- ikea gorm art
- If You Dream It...It Will Come
- a simple mod on the lack tv unit
- sylvie's delightful green bathroom
- m2jl's ikea hacks
- Something for the Boys
- New Elle Decor
- Elle Decor Cover News
- Peter Som for Bill Blass
- a doctor's front desk
- brighten your room with holiday lighting hacks
- A Few of My Favorite Things: Winter Edition
- dennis the menace returns in an ikea stool
- Another One Bites the Dust
- Bonjour Paree!
- a canoe canopy
- Christmas at Biltmore
- make your own kitchen island with breakfast counte...
- calling for canadian hackers!
- Paris Review Auction
- Busy Avenue of Life
- Members Only
- how to raise the dining standards for your dog
- New Design Crush!
- are you game for this chair?
- omar pot rack
- Happy Hanukkah!
- a galant coffee table
- Elliott Puckette and Hugo Guinness
- an indoor greenhouse and other ideas for living wi...
- Christmas at the Townhouse
- what are your favourite gifts from ikea?
- hacking a turtle terrarium
- ▼ December (47)
- ► 2006 (137)