Jule inherited an old piece of furniture which she deftly upgraded into a mirrored vanity. Guess mirrors and vanity do go well together.
Jule says, "I was given an old student desk which my parents bought at a garage sale before I was born. I never liked it, but it was really functional as a vanity in my bedroom. So, one day it occurred to me that it had the right shape to convert into a piece of mirrored furniture.
So, I went to Ikea for mirrors (Lots mirrors: 4 pack for $5) and new knobs (Antik: 2 pack for $5). A few cans of spray paint and some black grout from Home Depot (I was afraid to drill through the mirror, so I left a space for the knobs and filled it with grout.) All totaled it was about a $50 investment. Not including the chair, which I got the Borje chair from the “As Is” department at Ikea for $30 (the white upholstery was dirty, but nothing that a little cleaning didn't resolve.)
I am pleased with the results and even my husband who hates mirrored furniture likes it.
· Remove knobs
· Lightly sand surface (especially the top which was damaged)
· Spray paint with glossy black paint
· Measure and cut mirrors using a mirror cutter (it take a lot of practice – my price includes the 3 tiles I destroyed trying to figure out how to cut it. Then my husband figured it out on the 1st try, so I made him cut the rest.)
· Adhere the mirror with liquid nails made for mirrors
· Fill the seams with black grout
· Put on new hardware
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- Christmas through my son's eyes
- Tell us a few of your favorite things!!
- Got a front door?
- Purdiest Christmas tree EVER.
- Henriksdal gets a dye job
- Happy Thanksgiving!!
- This salad bowl sounds good
- Bare bones computer case
- Magic. Take Two.
- Bergdorf Goodman's White Christmas
- Domino Holiday Issue
- Mirrored vanity desk
- Out of Australia
- Ikea recalls Iris and Alvine Roman Blinds
- Lack light table for silkscreen painting
- Living in Flanders
- Countdowns for the kiddies!
- Do you follow?
- Going Grey
- I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas
- Day of Blessed.
- Computer desk with PC nook
- Marie-Antoinette and the Last Garden at Versailles...
- Great Kitchen Design
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Need more prep space for your kitchen?
- Gifts I don't want to give.
- Hippie Holiday!
- TV unit with subwoofer space
- Tis Better to Give...
- And the winners are...
- A little light reading in bed
- Hair Apparent
- Ikea happenings
- Shout outs!
- The Room with a View
- Another Bachelor Pad
- Levende Kunst
- Playing in Tents!
- Ho ho holidays at Ikea
- I'm in the giving mood!
- The art of cooking utensils
- Velvet and Linen
- Kelly Klein at Home in Florida
- Complete your spa bathroom with a wooden shower ma...
- Tour of the pot-tay.
- Kelly Klein at Home
- Nick's butcher block work top
- Chic Coat Closet
- Make a slim and sexy entry way table
- Somebody stop me.
- Charlotte Moss Townhouse Closing Sale!
- Stark hall unit as a room divider
- Easy breakfast bar
- Sara Story Design
- Holy. Canoly.
- Art Smart
- 49 days and counting...oh IT'S ON!!
- Gimme Shelter
- Bedrest Sucks.
- A New Day
- Habitually Chic Designer: Thad Hayes
- Get art for $4
- Downtown with David
- Hack a window seat
- If you can't beat them, join them.
- Voting survival guide.
- ▼ November (70)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)