Monday, January 24, 2011
Materials: Dave laptop table, 3 casters, 12 wood screws, and Mighty Putty
Description: I really like my Dave laptop stand for using my laptop on my couch, but it was hard to drag across the carpet and always seemed in danger of tipping over. IKEA seems to put casters on everything else, so I was surprised that this didn't come with them too.
You need 3 casters, one for each leg. I had left-over casters from an Alex drawer unit, but IKEA also sells casters separately. You want the kind that have a flat metal plate for attaching to a flat surface, not the kind with a post.
You need something to screw into to attach the casters to the legs, but the bottom of the legs are hollow with a honeycomb of supports. So I used Mighty Putty (As Seen on TV!), which is a 2 part epoxy putty, to fill the voids in the honeycomb and attach my screws. I used about 3 sticks total.
Turn the Dave upside down and pry off the gray plastic slider feet at end of each leg. Line up the casters so that the screw holes are close to corners in the honeycomb, but also keeping them as close to the end of each leg as possible for stability. Mix the putty per package instructions and then fill the area under each screw hole. You don't have to fill the entire void, just the corners around each screw. While the putty is still soft, gently screw through the metal plates into the putty. Do not push the screws in because the putty won't get into the threads and won't hold as well. Leave the Dave upside down until the putty hardens completely. Voila! a laptop stand that rolls smoothly over any surface.
~ Nicole, California
- Hacker Help: Varde Base Cabinet into an Breakfast ...
- There was no line dancing…
- Design Trends!
- NYIGF 2011: A Few of My Favorite Things
- NYIGF 2011: Jonathan Adler
- When iMac goes to work
- Personalized Kura Bed fit for a Princess with Play...
- Mandal Nightstand Hack
- The Chic Catroux
- Giveaway Weekend
- Gift Show Guide
- Eye candy: The white kitchen
- Shoe cupboard
- Tara Shaw Maison - America's Mart Part III
- Billy Built-in with a top
- Stolmen Entertainment Unit for a flat panel TV
- New Upholstered Headboard with Nailhead Trim
- Mystery Solved!
- Butcher Block Countertop Kitchen shelving
- One of those days
- Pottery Barn inspired desk transformation
- Klimt Lack
- Ribba with the Dynamic Painting
- And we have an IKEA hack of 2010 winner!
- Showing off The Newbies
- Bedroom Side Table
- Roman & Williams At Home
- IKEA LEGO Table
- What is Social Media?
- Sofia Stripes on an Expedit Shelf
- Color My World
- Jewelry Displays (recycled Ikea mirrors)
- DIY TV Riser
- LaivaPax Coffee Table
- A little love
- America's Mart - Part II Napa Home & Garden
- Cat Activity Center/Sleep Center
- Dreaming of Spring
- How to Make a Woodgrain Magnetic Memo Board and To...
- Wheelie Dave laptop stand
- Chic Coromandel Screens
- A DIY memo board
- Sink on the Edland bedside table
- Ikea lampshade-secondhand skirt combo lamp
- Mirror, Mirror....
- Sultan Lien Slats to Turntable Table
- Basic IKEA Tabletop into Custom Workstation
- RATIONELL Retrofit into an old kitchen
- Chic in New York: Etos
- Clean Minimalist TV Stand
- Kura bed transformed to kingsize bed with cosy cav...
- Erikslund Frame Hack
- FJELLSE Headboard
- America's Mart International Home Furnishing Marke...
- Gorm (almost) cabinet
- Trofast with wheels under the staircase
- Divine Downton Abbey
- Broder display stand
- Redesigning Design
- LACK side table to shelf hack
- Who’s on first?
- One Day You're In and the Next Day You're Out
- The Bag That Keeps on Giving
- Wide Standing Desk
- Chic Inspiration
- A comfy Noresund bed head
- Chateau de Groussay: Part Deux
- For LACK Of A Reasonably Priced Chalk Table
- Chateau de Groussay: Part I
- Chic Reads: Cafe Society
- Vacation Inspired Coffee Table
- Dear Vogue,
- Cheap Vika Glasholm Bathroom hack
- THE PAPER
- Giveaway winners!
- Ikea's Kvartal - A super-easy bike rack
- Where the Boys Are
- Upholstered IKEA Fjellse
- Golden Globes 2011 Fashion Recap
- Tobo Fireplace
- $22 Diy Mirror
- Let's Get Physical
- Stripe it Rich
- The best hack of 2010: Your vote needed
- New year, new look!
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Kids creativity corner at a carnival
- Frameless Sunburst Mirror
- "iMac"king a Vika Workstation
- Malm Toddler Bed under Malm-inspired Bunk
- Orange You Glad It's Friday?
- Ode to Wicker
- Runway to Room
- Lay-away your endless cardboard!
- But first, we declutter
- Graceful Sailing
- Habitually Chic Hits the High Seas
- Good ol', cheapo upholstered Gorm Bar
- Quick table
- Horizontal Floating Billy
- ▼ January (146)
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)