Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Description: I fell in love with the Jansjo LED wall light and I wanted to use it in my RV. It makes the perfect bedroom reading light, and since it's based on a light-emitting diode (LED) it's low power and you can't burn yourself by accidentally touching it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't run on a standard voltage. The special power adapter is built into the cord which plugs into the wall so there's no way to use it while camping or in a trailer. No problem.
Cut the cord off the lamp and remove the little plastic screw that holds the cord in place. Unthread the power cord from the hole and clip off the white connectors, using care to leave the remaining wires as long as possible.
Drill out the hole that the cord went through using a 1/4" twist drill. Bend the contacts on the switch to be as flat as possible, slip the switch into the hole from the inside, and epoxy it in place. When the epoxy has set, you are ready to attach the cord and wire up the switch.
Solder the wires to the switch as shown using a piece of the old lamp cord. Polarity is very important with this project. You do not want to get the leads reversed. If you look carefully at the lamp cord, you will notice that one side of it is marked with little black dashes. Connect this side to the silver wire on the lamp. Connect the other side to the switch as shown. Connect the white wire from the lamp to the other side of the switch.
You are now ready to wire up the LED driver.
Strip a 1/4" of insulation off the wires to the lamp and attach them to the LED+ and LED- terminals on the driver board using the screw terminals. Once again, mind the polarity. The wire with the black dashes goes to the LED- terminal. The other one goes to LED+.
Attach the other side of the driver board to the 12-volt wires in your RV, being careful to observe the polarity. If you hook it up backwards, you will destroy the driver board (and possibly burn yourself).
That's it! You now have a very bright, very efficient reading light. It uses less than 1/10th the power of a standard 12-volt light bulb (150mA vs 2000mA).
~ Rick Scherle, San Francisco, CA
- Thrifting “lady date”
- Blue Monday
- Double Lack
- Gorgeous Gucci
- Ivar Studio Desk
- Coffee table advance
- Oscar 2011 Best Dressed
- Introducing Peanut
- Oscars Greenroom
- DIY Slide Projector
- Dreaming in Brick
- Lack Bistro Table
- They don't make them like they used to...
- Modern dining room lightning
- Kitchen Island Beauty
- Half-pint Effektiv holds computer and subwoofer fo...
- 10,000(!) and month in review
- Tolsby - A cheap and easy earring display
- RETUR goes to bed
- The Chic Beach at Soho Beach House
- Mark Your Calendar: Kips Bay Decorator Show House ...
- My cherry blossom lantern, inspired by Joey
- Spring has Sprung at Talbots
- Corner workstation
- Photographs: My favorite art
- Baby Crib with open shelving
- Somewhere to hang my ... glass
- Chic in Miami: Soho Beach House
- Wardrobe hiding wires and fuse
- EXPEDIT wardrobe with plants
- IKEA LACK Tables become wall art
- Chic in Miami: Cecconi's
- Mood light panel
- Organize It Party!
- When Ikea doesn't make a small enough cabinet
- Chic Christian Louboutin Boutique
- Candleholder vs. towelholder
- Build a Rietveld-inspired chair with NUMERAR count...
- Bastian of Chic
- Gallant Standing Desk
- Sponsor Spotlight: Creations by Kage
- SMILA SOL Ceiling Fan
- Spice it Up! Klippan Sofa
- Chic and Cozy Cottage
- Sater 2.5 seat sofa to leather chair
- Winners and project FAIL
- Stainless bowl hanging planter
- Bettina Ballard's Busy Day
- Upholstered Lack coffee table
- Stolmen Floating TV Stand, So Simple Anybody Can D...
- The Front Row
- Southern Charm Mason Jar Chandelier
- My View at Derek Lam
- Nyttja frame becomes a notice board
- Charlotte's Chic Homes
- Alex Cooling
- Dolly bunkbed
- One linen closet down
- Chic at Fashion Week
- Lack 2.0
- A little love from IKEA
- FROSTA speaker stands
- Cute bulletin board
- NYFW Fall 2011: Tory Burch
- A Walk Through Nassau
- Hamster-Villa above TV
- Pretty in Pink: Government House
- Plastic Bag Trash Receptacle
- Torked-out Multi-Ribba Technicolour Backlit Featur...
- COLOR! (in the living room)
- What Every Princess Wants for Valentine's Day!!!
- Expedit Baby Closet
- Billy Tobo hybrid TV unit
- Ralph Lauren at Sea
- Dakota Jackson at Sea
- Vika corner desk and banish cable clutter
- Chic Ship Interiors
- Stunning Coastal Exterior and Interior Renovation
- Oceania Cruises: They had me at Ahoy!
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Bygel Hanging Shower Rack Hack
- Spectacular Pool Pavilion
- Measuring Light
- online consultations!
- I'm back!
- Standing Desks on the cheap
- Floating Bathroom Shelf Made with Kee Klamp and La...
- Fun in the Sun
- Puppy Proofing for Small Spaces
- Searching for a sofa
- Dead fridge goes Rationell (retrofitting old cabin...
- Another Edland bathroom vanity
- 1 1/2 Billy entertainment centre
- How to cover a brick glass wall with SNÖVITA gift ...
- Chic in Shades
- The "Bed Above Your Head" Pot Rack
- Happy Hour Hensvik
- Governor of the Bahamas
- ▼ February (141)
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)