Investing in what you love

I have a few priorities in my life. There are the obvious – obviously. ;) Our children, my husband, my family and friends. And our house.

I have always loved our house, but I adore it because of the effort I have put into making it what it is. What it will be. I love it because I have invested in it – not just with money, but with my time. My sweat. (And YES, many times, tears.)

Today the Bub was at a friend’s house for a few hours so I could get some more work done on the stairs. There are certain parts of this project that I just haven’t done with him around – most of them actually. (For safety reasons.)

I turned on my music (LOUD!) and got to work. I realized something about 20 minutes into staining the stairs…something very important.

I was having FUN.

Like, pure, simple, I-am-in-a-DIY-mode-and-loving-it, FUN.

Perched precariously on each step, working with stinky stain, doing the monotonous job of staining the treads…and I was having a BLAST. The music kept me moving, the stairs were looking absolutely gorgeous and I was thoroughly enjoying it.

I am willing to bet staining stairs is WAY down on the “fun” list for most of you. Call me crazy. ;)

Part of it was the transformation I was watching happen. Part of it was the fact that I was alone and doing something that I enjoyed. Sometimes when I talk about my projects I realize many of you must be rolling your eyes and thinking “Shut. up. That must take forever.”

Or “Oh GOOD LORD that girl needs to get a LIFE.”

The thing is – making our house our home is part of my life. My investment in our home is my time. Do we have the money to buy a piece of art instead of me making it?

DSC00071

Sure, most of the time.

Do we have the money to pay someone to paint a room?

DSC00526

Probably.

Was I tempted to just call a handyman to finish up our stairs in a quarter of the time it’s taking me to do it?

Absolutely.

But I LOVE doing what I do. Other than being a wife and a mom, there is NOTHING more fulfilling to me to take a before and turn it into a beautiful after. And if I can do it for little money, that makes it even better. Fo sho.

Does that mean you will love doing it? Oh my goodness gracious, NO. You may try a craft project or a molding project or try ripping up some carpet and think “That Thrifty Chick has gone and lost. her. mind. This sucks.”

(Sorry about that if that’s happened to you. Oops!)

BUT. I’m guessing if you complete one project, you will be so proud of yourself. Not like I studied for hours and got an “A” on that test, proud. Or I got the entire house clean today, proud.

More like…

I am woman.

Hear me roar.

I am ROCKIN’ it.

I LOVE what I just did.

PROUD.

If you get nothing else from this blog – I hope each and every one of you feel that way at least a few times in your lives. It’s why I’m here sharing what I do. I love doing it. I love sharing it with you.

I love investing my time in our home. Working on our home is an investment in me.

Every woman and mother should find time to do something that makes them happy and fulfilled. I don’t care what it is. I know 99 percent of the time, life gets in the way and makes that impossible.

But once and a while, when the kids are in bed, or when hubby works late, or when the grandparents can take over for a few hours…I hope you do something that you love and that makes you PROUD of yourself.

If you invest in yourself and what makes you happy, everyone else around you will be happier for it. Ask them, they’ll tell you. ;)

P.S. I have another fab giveaway coming up tomorrow! Can’t wait to share it with you.

Check out this stream