Chic Designs: Sophie Conran for Portmeirion


One of the first things I put on my Christmas list this year is Sophie Conran's Collection for Portmeirion. I already own a few pieces including the sugar bowl and creamer that sit on my stove (see last photo) but now I want the place settings. Actually, I want the whole darn collection. Every last piece! But only in pale robin's egg blue. It's my favorite color and matches my decor perfectly. I love that they all look slightly off kilter and handmade, although I'm sure they are not but it's nice to know something mass produced doesn't have to look like it!

Sophie Conran is the daughter of Sir Terence Conran, the famous designer, and is a cookbook author as well as designer now herself. She said she believes in enjoying every moment and in creating a beautiful world around you and your family, with warmth, simplicity and love.

The Portmeirion Collection includes the porcelain which has been designed to look as good on the dining table as it does in the kitchen. They not only look great but are robust and can go from the worktop to the oven to the table to the freezer, and back to the oven again. Love it! There is also glassware, silver serving pieces, wood pieces, and aprons and tea towels. Oh, and it's also a design winner! Sophie's collection won the Elle Decoration Design Award in 2006. So I guess I'm not the only one who appreciates it. There are many stockists who carry the collection including Anthropologie, Macy's and Amazon.com. Just in case you want to put in on your holiday wish list as well.




Check out this stream