Randall, a furniture designer, does his thing on the Grono lamps.
He says, " So many times I tell people - I look at Ikea as a "hardware store" as much as I do a Furniture retailer...No offense - I think Ikea's awesome....just that many items they sell are so adaptable - and likely candidates for "hacking"- that I see many items there as "components" for a project - or a "project-to-be"...which is how the Grono hacks occurred.
I was in the lighting area of Ikea - and saw these cute little inoffensive cubes - I was attracted to their simplicity; and their clean lines and volume.
But, they seemed too "elemental" to me.
So, the designer started sketching...
And this is what came out!
It helped that business is slow now - and I have some extra time to "play-around"....designing and building these items as Prototypes - for a future collection of products for sale on a soon to be created "rePurposed Furniture" website.
Plenty of years of metal working (and woodworking ) skills went into the fabrication of these "hacks".
Like they say on TV- not recommended to try this at home.
Welding, Mag-Drill Machining, Dado-Cutting, Sandblasting,and Powder
Coating are a few of the more "Industrial" processes that I used to create these new lights - that most folks don't keep in the garage, or basement workshops!
I hope that you and your readers may find some enjoyment from these new Lights I created using the Grono - and hope that IKEA will give me a job designing some for them!"
Randall's other hacks:
- Seena's bathroom countertop
- Expedit Grande
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Great Room by KA Desig...
- DIY hacked cold frame for the garden
- Get dirrty.
- Bachelorette Pad Update
- Billy bird
- Hamptons Designer Showhouse: Rooms by Katie Ridder...
- What to do with the ugly side of things
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Dining Room by Marshal...
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Plans
- Ikea PS locker into litter box
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Screened Porch by Brad...
- Got Holes?
- Hamptons Designer Showhouse
- Recover your armchair
- What's in the box?
- Ikea blue shopping bag into messenger bag
- Connecticut Classic: HB Home
- Monday fun!
- Habitually Chic Field Trip to Connecticut!
- Making your plain books pretty.
- Armchair Shopping With Willow Decor
- Edith Bouvier Beale Book
- Bon Weekend!
- Desk for IKEA Lo bed
- A Visit with Covetable Designs
- Bonde sideboard
- Clearing out the clutter.
- Off the Beaten Path in Paris
- Cijaye gets the Perfekt scrapbooking room
- Spectacular Pool Houses!
- Leksvik craft table
- Chic and Comfortable
- Ordning cutlery stand lamp
- House Beautiful Kitchen of the Year
- When FAB happens by accident. (And for FREE.)
- Plagarism is Not Chic
- Another Peek in to Linda Banks Home
- Merci beaucoup!
- Versailles à vélo
- The September Issue
- Grono gets some legs
- Oh la la ... it's a beauty
- The World in Vogue
- No More Mondays
- Art Lovers and other things...
- Fashionably Chic
- This is no wallflower
- Georgia Tapert House Tour
- Conglomerate media desk
- The details of the deck.
- Don't judge a book by its cover...
- In Memoriam: Julius Shulman (1910-2009)
- Rast bedside table turned printer rack
- J.Crew Fall 2009
- Hacked desk from Mikael drawer units
- A Peek into Linda Banks' Kitchen
- Habitually Chic Boutique: Etos
- One for fat candles
- A felt cover for Grono
- A deck reveal!
- Stockholm TV unit with glass doors
- An easy to DIY TV stand
- A leg up for this coffee table
- Vive la France!
- Dotted Regolit lamp shade
- I can't resist a par-tay!
- Back in the High Line Again
- Summer Showering Outdoors
- Triple Threat Miles Fisher
- Blog Anniversary!
- Table runner pillows.
- Gone Shoppin'
- Recycled play kitchen
- More play kitchens
- Vintage style play kitchen
- Billy can play too
- Placemat pillows
- Expedit storage and room divider from HGTV guy
- Summer Reading List
- Expedit bookcase cover up
- Christopher Peacock Returns!
- Waste not the flatpack boxes
- Ikea Expedit Asian inspired entertainment center
- Tips for a Stylish Summer...
- Bon Appetit!
- Our unfinished finished basement.
- I. am. pooped.
- Back to Work
- Twin to queen bed
- Retail therapy.
- Happy 4th of July Weekend!
- Landing strip storage with "face recognition"
- Danish Wedding Plans
- Weekend Chic
- A TV unit rerun
- ▼ July (95)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)