Randall, a furniture designer based in Chicago, finally gets round to finishing girlfriend Seena's renovations. This post will feature Seena's bathroom countertop. Later today will be Randall's other hack, a set of Grono lamps.
He says, "Her Condo in downtown Chicago is one that she has occupied way before The Donald (as in Trump) ever laid eyes upon her neighbor to the south - The Chicago Sun-Times building, which he has torn down to build a major skyscraper - and, so when Miss Seena started to actually rehab her tiny Condo - the Economic Crisis started to weaken The Banks confidence in Real Estate resulting in her Construction Loan (Line of Credit) being slashed to next to nothing! So - out went many custom crafted touches- and in went many shopping trips to Ikea.
The results are stunning!
Knowing that the small bathroom had a "width" of only 59"- we set out to scour Ikea's cabinet selection(s) - not just the freestanding Cabinets, not just the Office Solutions, not just the TV stand - but everything, in the entire store was measured and considered to be a possible candidate for an Ikea hack!
How fortuitous, when we put the tape measure to the Torsby!
Exactly (OK - on 1/8" of an inch larger) than we needed.
But what about the internal shelf support?
Won't that be in the way of the plumbing/drain????
Not for an experienced Ikea hacker like the Furniture Designer boyfriend.....(me!).
And - what about the Torsby finish to the top - how will that hold up in a moist bathroom environment? A scrap piece of honed white Corian from a local cabinet maker, helped solve that concern - a piece was cut at 59" by 16" (a 1" overhang in the front) to give a nice detail - as well as a bit more countertop space (we know how girls can use up counter space in a bathroom!)
So working from an elevation drawing I created - we went to work.
After much sweat and tears.....we are almost done- just the tempered glass shower doors and a bit of Corian for baseboard moulding..... and that's all!
Check out Randall's previous hack and studio.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Great Room by KA Desig...
- DIY hacked cold frame for the garden
- Get dirrty.
- Bachelorette Pad Update
- Billy bird
- Hamptons Designer Showhouse: Rooms by Katie Ridder...
- What to do with the ugly side of things
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Dining Room by Marshal...
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Plans
- Ikea PS locker into litter box
- Hampton Designer Showhouse: Screened Porch by Brad...
- Got Holes?
- Hamptons Designer Showhouse
- Recover your armchair
- What's in the box?
- Ikea blue shopping bag into messenger bag
- Connecticut Classic: HB Home
- Monday fun!
- Habitually Chic Field Trip to Connecticut!
- Making your plain books pretty.
- Armchair Shopping With Willow Decor
- Edith Bouvier Beale Book
- Bon Weekend!
- Desk for IKEA Lo bed
- A Visit with Covetable Designs
- Bonde sideboard
- Clearing out the clutter.
- Off the Beaten Path in Paris
- Cijaye gets the Perfekt scrapbooking room
- Spectacular Pool Houses!
- Leksvik craft table
- Chic and Comfortable
- Ordning cutlery stand lamp
- House Beautiful Kitchen of the Year
- When FAB happens by accident. (And for FREE.)
- Plagarism is Not Chic
- Another Peek in to Linda Banks Home
- Merci beaucoup!
- Versailles à vélo
- The September Issue
- Grono gets some legs
- Oh la la ... it's a beauty
- The World in Vogue
- No More Mondays
- Art Lovers and other things...
- Fashionably Chic
- This is no wallflower
- Georgia Tapert House Tour
- Conglomerate media desk
- The details of the deck.
- Don't judge a book by its cover...
- In Memoriam: Julius Shulman (1910-2009)
- Rast bedside table turned printer rack
- J.Crew Fall 2009
- Hacked desk from Mikael drawer units
- A Peek into Linda Banks' Kitchen
- Habitually Chic Boutique: Etos
- One for fat candles
- A felt cover for Grono
- A deck reveal!
- Stockholm TV unit with glass doors
- An easy to DIY TV stand
- A leg up for this coffee table
- Vive la France!
- Dotted Regolit lamp shade
- I can't resist a par-tay!
- Back in the High Line Again
- Summer Showering Outdoors
- Triple Threat Miles Fisher
- Blog Anniversary!
- Table runner pillows.
- Gone Shoppin'
- Recycled play kitchen
- More play kitchens
- Vintage style play kitchen
- Billy can play too
- Placemat pillows
- Expedit storage and room divider from HGTV guy
- Summer Reading List
- Expedit bookcase cover up
- Christopher Peacock Returns!
- Waste not the flatpack boxes
- Ikea Expedit Asian inspired entertainment center
- Tips for a Stylish Summer...
- Bon Appetit!
- Our unfinished finished basement.
- I. am. pooped.
- Back to Work
- Twin to queen bed
- Retail therapy.
- Happy 4th of July Weekend!
- Landing strip storage with "face recognition"
- Danish Wedding Plans
- Weekend Chic
- A TV unit rerun
- ▼ July (95)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)