I Heart Hamish!

I have been stalking the newsstand for weeks trying to find the latest issue of Australian Vogue Living and was excited to finally find it Saturday. I was even more excited to open up and find a profile of Hamish Bowles' New York apartment! I think I might have actually squealed! It's just as spectacular as his Paris flat and is seriously making me consider painting my apartment pink. I actually know where Hamish lives and after seeing these photos, I am tempted to camp out in front of his building until he lets me see it in person. But I'm too afraid of being banned from Vogue forever though so I won't actually do it. What I like best is that although it's chock full of furniture and accessories, it doesn't actually look cluttered. It has a wonderfully collected look because it was all lovingly collected during Hamish's travels.

The entrance table by Karl Springer is topped with lots of pink books and Fez hats. I love how Hamish has propped up art against the mirror and tucked in postcards and photos into the frame.

Hamish visits Tangier, Morocco every summer which is the reason behind the bedazzled Fez hats from eBay.

The living mixes lots of colors with antiques with two plastic ghost chairs to prefection. The sofa is from Sister Parish Design and the Louis XV chair is upholstered in purple tweed. I don't remember if they have this shade purple but Holland & Sherry is my favorite place to find soft tweeds.

At first I thought this was the entry table restyled but turns out that Hamish owns two Karl Springer tables and two plaster cornucopia lamps. He's also hung a mirror above both and a drawing over both mirrors. This drawing happens to be Truman Capote by René Bouché and was the drawing from the original dust jacket of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Everything in Hamish's apartment has a back story or a fabulous provenance.

This 1940's French bowl was found at the Paris flea market. Looks like a Jeremiah Goodman watercolor interior is framed behind it too.

I thought this view of the living room from Australian Vogue Living looked a little different from the photo of it from The World of Interiors below until I realized it must be another fireplace in the apartment since it's not flanked by bookcases.

But I am still wondering if the apartment was previously painted lavender or just looks like it in this older photo. Either way, I like both the pink and purple!

I feel like getting out my magnafying glass to check out Hamish's vast book collection! I already spot a few David Hicks books!

You can notice better in this photo that the shelves are metal which Hamish calls "a butch slightly ironic solution to my massive book collection." Hamish also collects vintage clothing which is kept in a warehouse in Queens. I can only imagine how fabulous that must be!

The guest bedroom houses more books and a Chippendale secretary that was given to Hamish from Eleanor Lambert. It's amazing how all the different patterns look perfectly at home together in this room too!

I had to include this photo of Hamish in the room so you can see that the wallcovering looks more pale aqua or robin's egg than it does in the previous photo.

The master bedroom combines a darker plum colored rice paper wallpaper with a bright green lamp and chair cushion. The fabric on it looks like the Tony Duquette malachite print.

Even Hamish's closet is full of color in the form of ribbon belts and ties. I really love this apartment and it definitely made the March/April 2010 issue of Australian Vogue Living worth the wait!

Check out this stream