Ho! Ho! Ho! (A Santa craft.)

close

I worked on a craft project today that turned out sooooo caute, I could not resist going ahead with a post tonight. It was snowing all day (not like some of you are getting!), so it was a great day to sit down and craft while the Bub was napping and Hubs was watching a game. Snow makes me feel all Christmasy-like. ;)

I saw some cute Santa hat/suit decor things in Stein Mart a couple months ago and Tweeted about them, saying I could totally make them for cheaper. Well, I decided to go for it, yes. I. did. I started with three foam cones, in different sizes:

009

I got them all for about $10. I think I used a coupon on the largest. If you can catch them on sale, you could spend even less!

I found red velvet at Hob Lob for less than $5 – I only got 22 inches (the width is 54”) and didn’t even use all of that. I figured out the size by rolling the cones and then cutting the fabric:

010 014

I hot glued the fabric down the back and then on the bottom and top to secure the ends:

012

I almost used sparkly red felt, but went with the velvet to the get look I really wanted. Either would be adorable and the felt would be even cheaper!

Then, I got four inches of vinyl (that looks like leather) to make the “belt.” This was less than $2 and I didn’t even need four inches…I only ended up making it 2.5 inches wide:

018

Again, just with some hot glue, I wrapped it around and secured it. Then, the fun part – the fur. I got some fluffy stuff in the ribbon section at Joann’s to use for this:

019 023

Isn’t it adorable? It looks like Santa’s beard! I’m dying.

For the buckle, I found a package of little square crystals. This package had 52 and I used most of them. I figured out the size and shape I wanted before I hot glued them on:

028027

A fluffy puff ball on top, and it was done. And I squealed! I did!:

042

I don’t think I could love these more than I do. Seriously, I’m dying. 030

I wasn’t happy with the old Christmas candles I had in this tray (which was a $1.99 tray I got at Goodwill and spray painted white) and I hadn’t even spray painted the bottom of it well enough yet, so I just filled it in with some Dollar Store ornaments: 052

The ornaments are to make another one of these wreaths, but that may not happen this year. I like them here much better anyway!

My favorite part is the blingy buckle!:

046 047

They aren’t perfect, but you don’t even notice. :)

They are the perfect, festive, fun touch to our family room!:

035

What do you think? The Stein Mart version is on the left, mine on the right:

photo053

(Mine are looking a little pink in this pic, but they are a deep red.)

Stein Mart had three sizes – I think about $9, $15 and $20 each. My three cost about $25 total. (And I had fun making them!)

Adorable!

I’m dying.

Check out this stream