Friday, November 12, 2010
Materials: Lack shelving unit, Capita legs, Iris chair pads
Description: This may not be a new idea, but I though I would share the end result!
Instructions: We made the benches before we had the table, only because we had them in storage. I love the look, but as a vertical unit they are not that practical. The benches are Ikea Lack shelving units turned on their side. Please note, their needs to be some attention taken to the amount of weight that the shelves can hold. They are not intended to be benches. We have found that they can easily hold 3 150-180 pounds adults.
We used 6 Capita legs (different heights available), 2 at each end and 2 spot in the middle. Choose the height of the leg depending on the height of your table - we used the 10" size. I chose 5 Iris chair pads as they fit the length and depth of the bench almost perfectly. The cubbyholes can now be sued for baskets or other storage containers for toys, games, table linens. etc
A last trick for rented homes and apartments, hang your own lighting or ask your landlord to do it. If it doesn't require a change to the existing electrical hardware, it is easy to put up and then take down when you leave. And really, it makes such a huge impact. We hung a Kroby light fixture and even installed a dimmer switch. The switch we'll probably leave for the next tenants - every overhead light should be on a dimmer in my opinion.
See more of the Lack shelving bench.
~ Alex T
- Santa hat craft
- A Blue and White Wedding
- Fold up workshop
- Bookcase with scratching post and hammock
- Let the magic begin! (The mantels.)
- A Royal Residence
- Chest of drawers to a bed
- Woodsy, antique ikea table
- Luxe Loft Living
- Malm Dresser Up-Do
- Silhouette discount code and a winner!
- Eight more hours!
- Elegant Holiday Inspiration
- Bedroom dress boys
- Queen-size MALM Murphy Hack
- Bon Weekend
- Enclosed Lack entertainment center
- Nature-inspired Enje roller blind
- Giveaway Weekend!
- At Home in Rome
- Alex Credenza
- Patrull air cleaner hack
- From trash to tea table
- Thanksgiving Inspiration
- Attitude of Gratitude
- Turn your blah Fjellse into a FAB upholstered bed
- The dreaded Kids Train Table with a new twist
- Thanksgiving Table Inspiration
- IKEA shelf-evators
- Art Collector's Paradise
- Lack gone oriental
- IKEA Play Supermarket
- Shining Charm
- Silhouette Craft Cutter Giveaway!
- Trash to treasure- Literally!
- Blue Monday
- Waooouu! How did you find a TV that fits perfectly...
- The Selby and The Spades
- Windows at Bergdorf Goodman
- Surroundings Holiday E-Magazine & Saturday's Mark...
- Giant drum shade pendant for 13 bucks
- Bergdorf Goodman Holiday Windows 2010
- EXPEDIT board in IKEA sale corner to a nice coffee...
- Here's What You're Saying & The "How To"!
- Giveaway weekend!
- GRONO/JUTIS Floorstand Lamp
- Great stamp collection on the Rast
- Thanksgiving Centerpieces
- The Olivia Palermo Show
- Barneys 2010: Have a Foodie Holiday!
- Masking tape my IKEA world
- The garage decrapification (again)
- Winners and a video
- Malm bed with loads of underbed storage
- Templeton: Part Deux
- Bonde sideboard with tree legs
- Wild Thing Chair
- Welcome Back Thru Dutch Doors
- Mama’s got a brand new tool
- Everything's Coming Up Daisy
- The Art of the Scrapbook
- A hidden memo board
- Don't Call it a Comeback
- Lack Torrone Table
- Mr. Hadley's Finest Room
- Ikea Avsikt now soft closes!
- VIKA desk goes glam
- Designer Visions: Steven Gambrel for Town & Countr...
- A thankful foyer
- A Night Off
- Sunny in Soho
- Giveaway Weekend!
- "Minibar" Ikea Style
- Jolie Laide
- Lack shelving unit as dining benches
- Bonde Credenza Hack
- Designer Visions: Wall Street by Richard Hallberg
- Making the old new again (spray paint love)
- Hacker help: Any ideas on how to turn the Mala int...
- Color Wheel Sunburst Skoj Clock
- Lovely Lime Wood
- How To: Make a Mod Chandelier (for under $10.00!)
- IVETOFTA Industrial Firepot
- Reporting in Style
- The Maskros flower
- Tricky Tricky! (Window treatments)
- Thanks Ivy & Piper!
- Turn Jonisk table lamp into pendant
- Designer Visions: Phoebe and Jim Howard for House ...
- I was a rockstar, hanging guitar
- Giveaway winners!
- Joan Mitchell: The Last Decade
- IKEA blue bag dress
- Sweet Nothings
- Lovely English Tudor- Is that in London?
- When Chanel met IKEA - fall fur accessories
- Old coffee presses for new
- Get ready (cause here it comes!!)
- A Fashionably Chic Retreat
- Heat Wave
- ▼ November (127)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)