Thursday, March 3, 2011
Materials: Lack Shelving Unit, Power Drill, 2-1/2 in. Hole Saw, Key Hole Saw, 1/4" brushed nickel aluminum channel, BIN shellac based primer by Zinsser, satin white spray paint, translucent white plexi-glass, plastic oval grommet, Loctite super glue
Description: I was inspired by an Ikea hack done by Matt in Portland. Ever since I saw this I wanted to do this to our birch Lack shelf purchased in 2005.
When we moved into our new home, I took the opportunity to follow thru and transformed the old shelf (first picture) with white spray paint, 1/4" aluminum channels in a brushed nickel finish and custom cut white translucent plexiglass doors and top. This semi-home made 'LACKured' (lacquered) finish gives the cabinet a more high-end look that matches the aesthetic in our new home. I modified Matt's hack by adding a grommet hole behind the TV so I could hide all the cables. Also only one side of the shelf has doors so we could still use the open side to display objects and see the brick wall behind the cabinet.
Link to slide show and more pictures.
Step by step instructions after the jump.
Click to read more>>
- Lillangen bathroom remodel
- Electrified rat
- Mismatched kitchen doors
- An Ikea Kura bed felt playhouse
- IKEA vases for a translucent rounded bathroom wall...
- Billy-Benno Corner Bookshelves
- Bathroom makeover
- Cat safe planter
- Akurum deep drawer file cabinet
- Expedit square into a stereo cabinet
- Rack for your Pc/Hi-fi system
- Hultet-framed Clock
- Beethoven Grono Lamp
- Expedit Paper Trays
- Lack Wall of Shoe Shelves and Storage
- Game Controller Management System
- Ralph Lauren Home: Part Deux
- Sponsor Spotlight Discount: CassaDecor
- A Little R & R
- Giveaway weekend!
- Walk through my Pax doors!
- Chic Soiree and Spring at Ralph Lauren
- Computer table with shelf for printer
- Malm Headboard Hack with Recessed Ridge for Hiding...
- Dog chair
- Question and Answer Period
- Ikea Spice Rack Hack - The Warli Way!
- Semi-home made 'LACKured' media cabinet
- My biggest purge yet!
- DIY Dorothy Draper Chests
- Eco-chic headboard
- Neutral Territory
- Besta Boas Chalkboard Room Divider
- March Madness
- Soho Beach House Miami: More Interiors
- Solar powered jewellery display
- Rolling Craft Table
- Laptop Desk
- ▼ March (38)
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)