Chic Sleeps: Lit a la Polonaise

I grew up with a canopy bed so I've had an aversion to them ever since.  If there was any bed that could make me change my mind about them, it's the 18th-century painted Louis XVI style bed above that is currently for sale at Le Louvre Antiques in Dallas.  It can also be called a lit a la polonaise (Polish bed) which is a bed that has uprights that support the canopy with curved iron bars hidden by curtains. The curtains in this case are a beautiful toile de jouy. It had me at goodnight!  Of course, I couldn't post this bed without showing you some other beautiful examples of lit a la polonaise.  Enjoy!

Another look at the Le Louve Antiques bed.

Some of the most gorgeous examples can be found at Versailles.  I took this photo on my tour. 

World of Interiors

unknown

World of Interiors

I was lucky to see this gorgeous lit a la polonaise in person at the Getty Center.

Le Petit Trianon photo by moi.

unknown

unknown

And some lit a la polonaise aren't just for people!

Check out this stream