i've always been fascinated with a larder full of food and enjoy ransacking my friends' kitchens just to see the brands they buy. advertising research, heh. terry's gorm kitchen storage unit had me squinting quite a bit to read those tiny labels.
"i wanted a quick cheap way to fix my food-storage shelving. in order to stack small cans and bottles, i needed to prevent them from falling out the back. on a whim i bought two pieces of 2ft x 4ft pegboard at home depot. (if you can fit a larger board in your car, you can buy 4ft x 8ft pegboard.) there were two kinds of pegboard; this silvery one was cheaper, about $2-$3 each.
amazingly enough, the holes on the pegboard lined up both vertically and horizontally (with one exception, explained below). i attached the board using long screws/bolts and nuts with fender washers (big flat washers with small screw holes) so the screw head wouldn't slip through the pre-drilled shelf hole. the screws need to be long enough to go through the washer, the gorm upright, and the pegboard. the 1-1/4" screws i bought were too short; i had some 2" screws that worked but were a little long. also, here's the only tricky part: that cross brace that aligns the system can get in the way depending on where it is affixed; best to affix it after installing the pegboard, if you have a choice.
trickier still: this is where you discover that you didn't quite get the shelving square when you affixed that cross brace. the very bottom pegboard holes did not quite match the upright holes, but this was due to a slight sideways skew of the shelving.
the cans under the pegboard helped to hold it in place while i installed the screws. voila, finished shelving with two pegboards attached. of course, this could be handled more elegantly with more forethought, but I'm happy with the result - and the cost.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- fitting the cyril computer cabinet for iMac
- vintage mirrored luxe for lack coffee table
- frame it in colour
- slim pantry for small kitchen
- compact computer desk organizer from mini chests
- news: bemz's serendipity slipcovers
- eva's compact ikea kitchen room divider
- bookcase sliding door hides secret passageway
- art up your malma mirror
- one million stipple side table
- desktop cable box
- black and red clothespin floor lamp
- robin inspired home theatre furniture
- vintage wallpaper for fira boxes
- hack your own custom built-in shelving
- mini web server cabinet
- customizing ikea in an eichler style home
- look ma! i'm in the running for blogger's choice a...
- gorm kitchen storage
- pimp my lamp
- convert a vestby bed frame to a bookcase
- tray desk organizer
- new blogger migration
- chris' corkboard project
- tertial chandelier
- seat underlay to wall decor
- lacy lamps
- ▼ May (27)
- ► 2006 (137)