Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Materials: 2 BESTÅ units with 6 shelfs, 2 BESTÅ units with 1shelf, 2 drawers with front, 4 sets of large BESTÅ castors, 8 square doors, all white. Two MDF wooden plates, white paint, screwdrivers, screws, saw and lots of glue. Two white KRITTER chairs.
Description: In our L-shaped living room, we wanted our small kids (1 and 4) to play in the corner. The enormous amount of bright colored toys, which had been spread across the floor in the past few years should be stacked into sleek design cabinets which should be out of their reach, it should have little desks to draw their pictures on and little cabinets on wheels for their daily stuff to put into.
When we shopped around all cabinets for kids turned out to be bright colored, funny or otherwise not-sleek and therefore not suitable for our livingroom. I decided to hack the BESTÅ cabinet!
First we mounted one BESTÅ unit to the wall, against the ceiling. Note that the unit is temporarily supported by an old IKEA dresser with additional piles of magazines! It did a very good job.
Than we mounted a room-high MDF plate, mounted a second shelfunit (again with the help of the old dresser) and a second room-high MDF plate. Plates were mounted with lots of glue and a single screw.
Just for the look of it we thickened the plates by glueing extra plates on both sides of the room-high MDF plates. And to be sure the cabinets would not fall on our children's heads we put an extra rod underneath the first cabinet.
I sawed two little desks, mounted small bars underneath and screwed the bars against the plates. We sanded the plates and painted them white.
Eight doors were attached that opened by clicking (BESTÅ press-and-open! Superb!).
The two small BESTÅ cabinets got a drawer and 4 castors each and were shoved under the desks. Two KRITTER chairs completed the new play-centre.
We are very happy with the result, although I must say that a tidy play-centre still seems to be a matter of discipline.... !
- Sponsor Spotlight
- No space for PC, lets hang it up on the wall
- Lack Lego table
- My heart is full
- Customized kitchen pantry
- A Tale of Two Kitchens
- Contemporary concealed entertainment center
- Grace is Good
- TV Theater Wall
- Paris in Pastel
- A great man
- See you Sunday!
- Laptop/Book Stand
- Built-in bookcase and Home Theater Unit
- Art and Interiors on the Huffington Post
- Piecemeal kitchen island
- Fall inspiration: Link it up!
- Custom wall of shelving...cheap!
- Oscar Elegance at Lee Jofa
- Chic Reads: Assouline at The Plaza
- BESTÅ turns into play-centre
- Let's Hear It for the Boys: J.Crew Men's Shop
- The "A rose by any other name is a Malma" mirror
- 10-Minute Cheese Grater Lamp
- Farmhouse table turned desk
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall...
- Pax Wendy house
- Lack Scrabble table
- For Sale: Gilles Mendel's Duplex
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Chic on Safari
- Cabinet for Walter Gropius
- NYIGF: Waylande Gregory
- The Fantastic Work of Jeremiah Goodman
- Permanent to non-permanent lighting fixture conver...
- The Rise of Reed
- Silver laptop stand
- Profile in Style: Aerin Lauder
- Thanks Tory Burch!
- KVARTA clock art
- Our warm and cozy family room
- Another Lack hack: Dual ottomans
- NYIGF: Vagabond Vintage
- Beach cottage-chic Ivar chairs
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse is back on!
- Very Vanity Vessel Hack aka Vanity with vessel sin...
- Bunny Williams: Chic at Work
- NYIGF: Take a Number
- Simple stylish vanity table
- Jewelry for your furniture
- NYIGF: Crowning Glories
- NYIGF: March of the Elephants
- Hanging wall light
- NYIGF: Horsing Around
- NYIGF: Two's Company Equestrian Theme
- NYIGF: Jonathan Adler
- NYIGF: Look who I ran into!
- Undersink Rubbish bin-like hanger thingy
- Embracing summer
- bath organizer to succulent garden
- Summer's Fleeting
- Lovely Loewe
- Foos ball coat rack
- Chic Sponsor: Julia B
- Double Up the Hyllis
- Make every dollar count!
- The September Issue
- Chic Inspiration
- Bamboo or blinds?
- Kulla Lamp Refurb Instructions!
- J'aime Mon Carré
- Bungalow 5
- Double decker Frosta side table with integrated li...
- Chic at Smythson
- LACK on LACK (TV bench)
- Model Chic
- MOM! We need another ANEBODA! The bathroom cabinet...
- The staircase is done! (Again.)
- Degu disc playground
- The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
- Shedding new light on the bedroom
- What's in Your Attic?
- Smooth Sailing
- Decorating with Giant Clam Shells
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Ikea Treadmill Desk
- True Value DIY Blog Squad!
- Horsing Around
- Biltong box
- Margaret Russell is new Editor in Chief of Archite...
- Another look at Isabel López-Quesada
- (Yet another) Billy built-in
- Spicing up your kitchen, hacker style!
- A Mystery Solved
- Lack-computer stand
- Live like no one else
- Vote Early and Often!
- Hiding the Goodies
- ▼ August (113)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)