Friday, August 6, 2010
Materials: Samla and Bygel
Description: Building a Biltong box with parts from Ikea is quite straight forward.
I had to buy Samla Box 57x39 with cover, some Bygel (10 items pack, just buy 4 or 5 packs). And 3,6m of knotted-link chain.
A fan from an old PC, an old power supply, some fly screen, some strip of wood (20x40mm), a broomstick, a handful of screws.
The Bygel have been sharpened on one side.
The wood has been cut to fit into the box and pre-drill: a center hole for the broomstick and 6 holes with 5 cm distance for the chain. The broomstick is cut to the fitting length and pre-drilled. Then everything is build together.
The hole for the fan has been drilled with a 6mm drill and finished with a cheap 80mm core drill. If you don't have a core drill just drill a lot of holes on the outline of the 80mm hole and cut through the remaining parts. (Don't try to cut the hole free hand...)
Attach the fly screen between box and fan. No glue needed.
The cover does not close the box beause it rests on the wood strips. This is good because it creates an outlet for the air (pressed in by the fan). If you use smaller wood strips you might need to add holes into the cover. I would suggest not to big holes otherwise they have to be secured with fly screen. And as far as I see gluing would not work with the box and cover material.
~ Holger Lembke
- Sponsor Spotlight
- No space for PC, lets hang it up on the wall
- Lack Lego table
- My heart is full
- Customized kitchen pantry
- A Tale of Two Kitchens
- Contemporary concealed entertainment center
- Grace is Good
- TV Theater Wall
- Paris in Pastel
- A great man
- See you Sunday!
- Laptop/Book Stand
- Built-in bookcase and Home Theater Unit
- Art and Interiors on the Huffington Post
- Piecemeal kitchen island
- Fall inspiration: Link it up!
- Custom wall of shelving...cheap!
- Oscar Elegance at Lee Jofa
- Chic Reads: Assouline at The Plaza
- BESTÅ turns into play-centre
- Let's Hear It for the Boys: J.Crew Men's Shop
- The "A rose by any other name is a Malma" mirror
- 10-Minute Cheese Grater Lamp
- Farmhouse table turned desk
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall...
- Pax Wendy house
- Lack Scrabble table
- For Sale: Gilles Mendel's Duplex
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Chic on Safari
- Cabinet for Walter Gropius
- NYIGF: Waylande Gregory
- The Fantastic Work of Jeremiah Goodman
- Permanent to non-permanent lighting fixture conver...
- The Rise of Reed
- Silver laptop stand
- Profile in Style: Aerin Lauder
- Thanks Tory Burch!
- KVARTA clock art
- Our warm and cozy family room
- Another Lack hack: Dual ottomans
- NYIGF: Vagabond Vintage
- Beach cottage-chic Ivar chairs
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse is back on!
- Very Vanity Vessel Hack aka Vanity with vessel sin...
- Bunny Williams: Chic at Work
- NYIGF: Take a Number
- Simple stylish vanity table
- Jewelry for your furniture
- NYIGF: Crowning Glories
- NYIGF: March of the Elephants
- Hanging wall light
- NYIGF: Horsing Around
- NYIGF: Two's Company Equestrian Theme
- NYIGF: Jonathan Adler
- NYIGF: Look who I ran into!
- Undersink Rubbish bin-like hanger thingy
- Embracing summer
- bath organizer to succulent garden
- Summer's Fleeting
- Lovely Loewe
- Foos ball coat rack
- Chic Sponsor: Julia B
- Double Up the Hyllis
- Make every dollar count!
- The September Issue
- Chic Inspiration
- Bamboo or blinds?
- Kulla Lamp Refurb Instructions!
- J'aime Mon Carré
- Bungalow 5
- Double decker Frosta side table with integrated li...
- Chic at Smythson
- LACK on LACK (TV bench)
- Model Chic
- MOM! We need another ANEBODA! The bathroom cabinet...
- The staircase is done! (Again.)
- Degu disc playground
- The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
- Shedding new light on the bedroom
- What's in Your Attic?
- Smooth Sailing
- Decorating with Giant Clam Shells
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Ikea Treadmill Desk
- True Value DIY Blog Squad!
- Horsing Around
- Biltong box
- Margaret Russell is new Editor in Chief of Archite...
- Another look at Isabel López-Quesada
- (Yet another) Billy built-in
- Spicing up your kitchen, hacker style!
- A Mystery Solved
- Lack-computer stand
- Live like no one else
- Vote Early and Often!
- Hiding the Goodies
- ▼ August (113)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)