Thursday, August 26, 2010
Materials: Bekvam kitchen cart (or similar item), Lagan countertop, Vika Byske Table Leg, drawer slider, wooden slats, cutlery tray
Description: I've had an IKEA kitchen island since sophomore year of college when I moved into a dorm room with a kitchen. It's been the perfect fix for the common lack of counter space in every apartment I've lived in since then. In June, I moved into a tiny studio apartment (200 square feet total) in Brooklyn. The 'kitchen' was just a refrigerator, a stove, a sink, and two cabinets in a nook to one side of the apartment. I knew I need more counter space, as well as a space to eat and work, so I built this multi-purpose kitchen island/bar table/workspace using my old IKEA island and some other IKEA products. Unfortunately, some of the IKEA products I used have disappeared from the site, but I'm sure there are other similar items you could use.
First, we mounted the Lagan countertop at 39", slightly lower than standard bar height but still high enough for 29" stools to fit comfortably under. We secured one end of the counter to the wall using L-brackets, then attached the Vika Byske leg to the other end.
Because the kitchen didn't have a single drawer (something I noticed after I had already moved in, of course), I fashioned a utensil drawer out of a cutlery tray that was almost exactly the same size as the surface of the bottom island. Using a 3/4 extension 18" bottom mount drawer slide from McMaster-Carr, we attached the utensil tray to the top of the smaller kitchen island. Because the bottom mount drawer slide was mounted in the center of drawer, it was slightly wobbly, so we used some wooden slats and screwed them in on one side of the bottom island to steady the drawer. It works great!
~ Molly, Brooklyn, NY
- Sponsor Spotlight
- No space for PC, lets hang it up on the wall
- Lack Lego table
- My heart is full
- Customized kitchen pantry
- A Tale of Two Kitchens
- Contemporary concealed entertainment center
- Grace is Good
- TV Theater Wall
- Paris in Pastel
- A great man
- See you Sunday!
- Laptop/Book Stand
- Built-in bookcase and Home Theater Unit
- Art and Interiors on the Huffington Post
- Piecemeal kitchen island
- Fall inspiration: Link it up!
- Custom wall of shelving...cheap!
- Oscar Elegance at Lee Jofa
- Chic Reads: Assouline at The Plaza
- BESTÅ turns into play-centre
- Let's Hear It for the Boys: J.Crew Men's Shop
- The "A rose by any other name is a Malma" mirror
- 10-Minute Cheese Grater Lamp
- Farmhouse table turned desk
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall...
- Pax Wendy house
- Lack Scrabble table
- For Sale: Gilles Mendel's Duplex
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Chic on Safari
- Cabinet for Walter Gropius
- NYIGF: Waylande Gregory
- The Fantastic Work of Jeremiah Goodman
- Permanent to non-permanent lighting fixture conver...
- The Rise of Reed
- Silver laptop stand
- Profile in Style: Aerin Lauder
- Thanks Tory Burch!
- KVARTA clock art
- Our warm and cozy family room
- Another Lack hack: Dual ottomans
- NYIGF: Vagabond Vintage
- Beach cottage-chic Ivar chairs
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse is back on!
- Very Vanity Vessel Hack aka Vanity with vessel sin...
- Bunny Williams: Chic at Work
- NYIGF: Take a Number
- Simple stylish vanity table
- Jewelry for your furniture
- NYIGF: Crowning Glories
- NYIGF: March of the Elephants
- Hanging wall light
- NYIGF: Horsing Around
- NYIGF: Two's Company Equestrian Theme
- NYIGF: Jonathan Adler
- NYIGF: Look who I ran into!
- Undersink Rubbish bin-like hanger thingy
- Embracing summer
- bath organizer to succulent garden
- Summer's Fleeting
- Lovely Loewe
- Foos ball coat rack
- Chic Sponsor: Julia B
- Double Up the Hyllis
- Make every dollar count!
- The September Issue
- Chic Inspiration
- Bamboo or blinds?
- Kulla Lamp Refurb Instructions!
- J'aime Mon Carré
- Bungalow 5
- Double decker Frosta side table with integrated li...
- Chic at Smythson
- LACK on LACK (TV bench)
- Model Chic
- MOM! We need another ANEBODA! The bathroom cabinet...
- The staircase is done! (Again.)
- Degu disc playground
- The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
- Shedding new light on the bedroom
- What's in Your Attic?
- Smooth Sailing
- Decorating with Giant Clam Shells
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Ikea Treadmill Desk
- True Value DIY Blog Squad!
- Horsing Around
- Biltong box
- Margaret Russell is new Editor in Chief of Archite...
- Another look at Isabel López-Quesada
- (Yet another) Billy built-in
- Spicing up your kitchen, hacker style!
- A Mystery Solved
- Lack-computer stand
- Live like no one else
- Vote Early and Often!
- Hiding the Goodies
- ▼ August (113)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)