Monday, August 9, 2010
Materials: IKEA Orgel Pendant Lamp Shade, IKEA Hemma Cord Set, IKEA Anno Inez Panel Curtain, Glue Gun, Command 3M Wire Hooks, Command 3M Small Picture Hanging Strips (Velcro), 4 wooden shims, Scissors
Description: My last hack detailed the construction of the loft bed frame. This hack adds lighting, and makes the room warmer.
1. Assemble Orgel and Hemma light.
2. Hang light using the wire hooks.
3. Cut the Anno Inez panel in half.
4. Hot glue two of the wooden shims across the bottom of the panel (for weight, to keep the panel in place). Fold the fabric over the other side of the shim, and glue again.
5. Fold the top of the panel ½ inch, and hot glue it in place (so as not to leave a fraying edge exposed). Fold another ½ inch, and glue again.
6. Attach Velcro strips on the top fold of the panel curtain, and on the ceiling, making sure to cover as much of the cord as possible.
7. Attach the Velcro strips to the fabric and to the wall, approximately 2 feet down the panel. Make sure the fabric hangs straight, and hangs at an angle.
8. Attach one last Velcro strip on the corner of the fabric-covered shim, and attach to the wall, making sure the fabric hangs straight. (You can't put the Velcro strips on both sides, because the cord makes it impossible for the shims to lay flat against the wall.
9. Since the Hemma Cord Set doesn't have an on/off switch, I plan on hooking the lamps up to The Clapper, so I don't need to plug the cord into an outlet each time I want to turn it on.
See more photos here.
~ Angie Andrade, Stillwater, OK
- Sponsor Spotlight
- No space for PC, lets hang it up on the wall
- Lack Lego table
- My heart is full
- Customized kitchen pantry
- A Tale of Two Kitchens
- Contemporary concealed entertainment center
- Grace is Good
- TV Theater Wall
- Paris in Pastel
- A great man
- See you Sunday!
- Laptop/Book Stand
- Built-in bookcase and Home Theater Unit
- Art and Interiors on the Huffington Post
- Piecemeal kitchen island
- Fall inspiration: Link it up!
- Custom wall of shelving...cheap!
- Oscar Elegance at Lee Jofa
- Chic Reads: Assouline at The Plaza
- BESTÅ turns into play-centre
- Let's Hear It for the Boys: J.Crew Men's Shop
- The "A rose by any other name is a Malma" mirror
- 10-Minute Cheese Grater Lamp
- Farmhouse table turned desk
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall...
- Pax Wendy house
- Lack Scrabble table
- For Sale: Gilles Mendel's Duplex
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Chic on Safari
- Cabinet for Walter Gropius
- NYIGF: Waylande Gregory
- The Fantastic Work of Jeremiah Goodman
- Permanent to non-permanent lighting fixture conver...
- The Rise of Reed
- Silver laptop stand
- Profile in Style: Aerin Lauder
- Thanks Tory Burch!
- KVARTA clock art
- Our warm and cozy family room
- Another Lack hack: Dual ottomans
- NYIGF: Vagabond Vintage
- Beach cottage-chic Ivar chairs
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse is back on!
- Very Vanity Vessel Hack aka Vanity with vessel sin...
- Bunny Williams: Chic at Work
- NYIGF: Take a Number
- Simple stylish vanity table
- Jewelry for your furniture
- NYIGF: Crowning Glories
- NYIGF: March of the Elephants
- Hanging wall light
- NYIGF: Horsing Around
- NYIGF: Two's Company Equestrian Theme
- NYIGF: Jonathan Adler
- NYIGF: Look who I ran into!
- Undersink Rubbish bin-like hanger thingy
- Embracing summer
- bath organizer to succulent garden
- Summer's Fleeting
- Lovely Loewe
- Foos ball coat rack
- Chic Sponsor: Julia B
- Double Up the Hyllis
- Make every dollar count!
- The September Issue
- Chic Inspiration
- Bamboo or blinds?
- Kulla Lamp Refurb Instructions!
- J'aime Mon Carré
- Bungalow 5
- Double decker Frosta side table with integrated li...
- Chic at Smythson
- LACK on LACK (TV bench)
- Model Chic
- MOM! We need another ANEBODA! The bathroom cabinet...
- The staircase is done! (Again.)
- Degu disc playground
- The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
- Shedding new light on the bedroom
- What's in Your Attic?
- Smooth Sailing
- Decorating with Giant Clam Shells
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Ikea Treadmill Desk
- True Value DIY Blog Squad!
- Horsing Around
- Biltong box
- Margaret Russell is new Editor in Chief of Archite...
- Another look at Isabel López-Quesada
- (Yet another) Billy built-in
- Spicing up your kitchen, hacker style!
- A Mystery Solved
- Lack-computer stand
- Live like no one else
- Vote Early and Often!
- Hiding the Goodies
- ▼ August (113)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)