The Rise of Reed

I picked up the September issue of Vogue yesterday and although it's a little heavy on Fashion's Night Out coverage, there was one fabulous feature that stopped me in my tracks.  The finally finished townhouse of Delphine and Reed Krakoff is breathtaking and worth buying the issue just so you can drool over it.  I was just talking to someone about their townhouses recently as I knew Reed, the Executive Creative Director of Coach, and his wife had sold their old townhouse to buy this even bigger one.  (Must be nice, right?!)  The article is missing some of the rooms so I was happy to find some more photos on Delphine's website for her business Pamplemousse Design.  (Delphine is French and pamplemousse means grapefruit in French.) These photos are not from Vogue so I'm not ruining anything for you and the rooms have also been styled differently. I will never tire of comparing how rooms are styled for real life and magazines.  As I know from my own photo shoots, not everything translates well for the camera.  Delphine also designed the new Reed Krakoff store for Reed's eponymous fashion line which opens today at 831 Madison Avenue. I can't wait to check it out too!  Enjoy!

The living room with it's old chairs.

An amazing Claude Lalanne bronze crocodile chairs sits on a Henri Gonse designed rug for Cogolin c. 1940.

The home had been divided into apartments and a new central staircase had to be installed. Lalanne sheep are hiding in the corner beside the 1930's Jean-Michel Frank Sofa and Line Vautrin mirrors.

The Krakoff's are major art collectors and a Marc Newson chaise sits under a Al Held painting. All of the landings are as big as regular rooms. 

For such a large townhouse with all white walls, the furniture and rugs help make it feel warm and cozy.

Another large landing with a Frank Stella painting from 1974, Concentric Squares and a 1930's Serge Roche table.

Of course, I'm loving the book filled library.

The large eat in kitchen features ostrich skin upholstered French chairs that look similar to the ones that were in their Hamptons house.  I love kitchens that are decorated like the rest of a home.

The master bathroom is larger than most New York apartments and features a fireplace and large seating area.  You know, just in case you need to sit down while getting ready in the morning.  For a peek at the children's rooms and other areas of the townhouse, pick up the September issue of Vogue. 

Check out this stream