Thursday, August 12, 2010
Materials: 2 Hyllis shelving units, a good screwdriver
Description: The Hyllis is a nice piece of furniture to begin with, in my opinion, despite the awful name.Simple, honest metal and a few screws. Lovely. Also, the Hyllis is embarrasingly cheap.
The idea is simple - stock to units on top of each other. Save space, get a cooler looking piece of furniture.
You need a screwdriver that can make holes in metal.
1. Assemble one shelving unit completely, except for the plastic feet, and the shelve nearest to the ground. Lay it down on the floor.
This will be the top.
2. Put the long vertical pieces of metal in extension to the first unit you assembled, and decide how high you want it to be.
3. Drill holes so that you can assemble the two units, measure the distance to the pre-drilled holes so it will be even.
4. Screw in the shelf that overlaps the two units, through both the units.
5. Assemble the rest of the shelves in the lower part, and you're done.
My explanation is crap, look at the pictures and I'm sure you understand it right away. It's very simple.
Important: Make sure you know how high the ceiling is, and make sure there's room enough to raise the shelving unit to an upright position when you're done. I was only able to make it fit because the old house I live in has a bumpy uneven ceiling.
~ Lea, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Sponsor Spotlight
- No space for PC, lets hang it up on the wall
- Lack Lego table
- My heart is full
- Customized kitchen pantry
- A Tale of Two Kitchens
- Contemporary concealed entertainment center
- Grace is Good
- TV Theater Wall
- Paris in Pastel
- A great man
- See you Sunday!
- Laptop/Book Stand
- Built-in bookcase and Home Theater Unit
- Art and Interiors on the Huffington Post
- Piecemeal kitchen island
- Fall inspiration: Link it up!
- Custom wall of shelving...cheap!
- Oscar Elegance at Lee Jofa
- Chic Reads: Assouline at The Plaza
- BESTÅ turns into play-centre
- Let's Hear It for the Boys: J.Crew Men's Shop
- The "A rose by any other name is a Malma" mirror
- 10-Minute Cheese Grater Lamp
- Farmhouse table turned desk
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall...
- Pax Wendy house
- Lack Scrabble table
- For Sale: Gilles Mendel's Duplex
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Chic on Safari
- Cabinet for Walter Gropius
- NYIGF: Waylande Gregory
- The Fantastic Work of Jeremiah Goodman
- Permanent to non-permanent lighting fixture conver...
- The Rise of Reed
- Silver laptop stand
- Profile in Style: Aerin Lauder
- Thanks Tory Burch!
- KVARTA clock art
- Our warm and cozy family room
- Another Lack hack: Dual ottomans
- NYIGF: Vagabond Vintage
- Beach cottage-chic Ivar chairs
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse is back on!
- Very Vanity Vessel Hack aka Vanity with vessel sin...
- Bunny Williams: Chic at Work
- NYIGF: Take a Number
- Simple stylish vanity table
- Jewelry for your furniture
- NYIGF: Crowning Glories
- NYIGF: March of the Elephants
- Hanging wall light
- NYIGF: Horsing Around
- NYIGF: Two's Company Equestrian Theme
- NYIGF: Jonathan Adler
- NYIGF: Look who I ran into!
- Undersink Rubbish bin-like hanger thingy
- Embracing summer
- bath organizer to succulent garden
- Summer's Fleeting
- Lovely Loewe
- Foos ball coat rack
- Chic Sponsor: Julia B
- Double Up the Hyllis
- Make every dollar count!
- The September Issue
- Chic Inspiration
- Bamboo or blinds?
- Kulla Lamp Refurb Instructions!
- J'aime Mon Carré
- Bungalow 5
- Double decker Frosta side table with integrated li...
- Chic at Smythson
- LACK on LACK (TV bench)
- Model Chic
- MOM! We need another ANEBODA! The bathroom cabinet...
- The staircase is done! (Again.)
- Degu disc playground
- The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
- Shedding new light on the bedroom
- What's in Your Attic?
- Smooth Sailing
- Decorating with Giant Clam Shells
- Giveaway Weekend!
- Ikea Treadmill Desk
- True Value DIY Blog Squad!
- Horsing Around
- Biltong box
- Margaret Russell is new Editor in Chief of Archite...
- Another look at Isabel López-Quesada
- (Yet another) Billy built-in
- Spicing up your kitchen, hacker style!
- A Mystery Solved
- Lack-computer stand
- Live like no one else
- Vote Early and Often!
- Hiding the Goodies
- ▼ August (113)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)