i don't have audio speakers so i'm not sure whether these gaje speaker stands are as bad as this hacker makes them out to be. nonetheless, fluffy rants gives a nifty solution to the problem: "yeah, the gaje stands are kind of dumb... normally to mount a speaker on it, you either have to attach it using some velcro (which it comes with), or drill holes into the speakers themselves. my old rear surrounds I used the velcro on, but my fronts were too heavy/big for that and so I just had the other pair taking up space.
i'd planned on doing a modification like this for a while, and since my rear speakers developed a bit of a rattle a while ago (which i was unable to fix; i think the driver itself went bad) and i finally had enough of it and decided to buy a proper 5-channel matched setup, and the new speakers were definitely too big, since the rears are bigger/heavier than my old fronts.
so, this way I have some pretty nice stands (with cable routing) which can actually support decent speakers and have great isolation, but didn't cost much at all (basically $62 for all four, plus a bit of time for assembly)."
click here for fluffy rant's step-by-step pictures.
other audio visual hacks:
> a hip mobile music console
> the very clever audioasylum lack table music cabinet
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- unflatpack your ikea
- dressing up billy
- hacking ikeahacker
- timtom's trio: #3 romantic palanquin bed from tupp...
- timtom's trio: #2 movable dvd player storage
- ikea 2007 catalogue now out!
- timtom's trio: #1 tupplur home cinema screen
- switch to handsfree psp viewing
- sound of silence
- ikea fado lookalike at half the price
- make your own ikea cam creature
- cheap yet chic stair lighting
- assemble a colouring book
- through the ikea 2007 peep hole
- hate the fabric colour? just paint it!
- pimp my boj
- ikea flatpacks rearranged into art
- an ikea bookcase for a swede by and by
- make your own ikea dna lamp
- how to submit your ikea hack
- a cool cuppa
- ikea hack of the month - june
- a little more fabulous
- custom cabinet
- can't stand it
- ▼ July (25)