Billy bookcases as room dividers

This is Lily's very first Ikea hack and it's a nice one. Clever use of Billy bookcases to section out a 'sleeping area' and create storage. Definitely a snuggle-worthy corner.

She says, "I'm renting this large one space studio but didn't like the idea of having my bed in the living room as well as in the kitchen so I came up with the idea of a room divider. Since I also had a lack of storage for books etc I decided to purchase five Billy's (4 large and one small) to create a 'sleeping corner'. The position of the bookcases also makes kind of a hallway. The first Billy closest to the entrance door is a small one that I use as a place for key/mail/umbrella. A few months later I found two green glass kitchen doors (Rubrik) at the as-is corner which were then fixed to the bottom shelves to serve as a shoe cabinet.
The next Billy is placed reversed so that I can use it as a night table at the head of my bed. At the back I screwed in a simple rack to hang coats when entering the studio. I made sure the screws pierced one of the shelves so that it would be strong enough to carry some weight.

The 3 bookcases facing the living room serve as all kinds of storage. I glued on some gift wrapping paper (at hema) to make it more playful and less white. Some of the shelves are left out so that I have, like, these small decoration cubes in which I sometimes place school works (sculptures, maquettes, etc)

For the sleeping corner on the other side, the backs of the Billy's are simply covered with some leftover paint, with colors matching my favorite bed linen. I hung a Hoppy lamp (by Dark) at the top to create some special light effects.



You may also be interested in:
- Another Billy pantry
- Billy finds new purpose as a pantry
- Stark hall unit as a room divider
- Room dividers for your bedroom
- And this is how you divide a loft
- Buffalo Bill wardrobe and room divider

Check out this stream