Now it's your turn. How do you think your childhood influenced your career path? Did sewing clothes for your dolls lead you to pursue fashion design? Were you also redecorating your room growing up and now decorating for clients? I'm curious!
Monday, March 23, 2009
As most of you can probably tell, I'm a very curious person. I always love to hear the story of how someone became the person that they are today and I especially love to hear about how their childhood influenced them in their future choice of careers. I've been reading a lot of books lately and interviewing designers and so many of them tell similar stories. Many were fascinated by the design process when a designer was working on their house growing up. Thad Hayes used to sit in on all the meetings with the decorator his mother hired didn't even know you could make a living at it until then. Others as young children used to rearrange all the furniture and pick out the paint colors for their room. At fourteen, David Netto upholstered his entire room in green velvet. Some followed their parents to flea markets and tag sales like Albert Hadley who used to go antiquing with his mother and aunts. I remember my mother wallpapering our living room many times so it's no wonder where I ended up in design.
Posted by ahmed at 6:49 PM
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Hail Brittania!
- A compact Mackis charging station
- Island Life
- OMG!!!! (Squealing like a 13-year-old girl!)
- Scrabble Table
- A happy bedside table
- Five dollar Spring projects!
- Dining by Design 2009
- Off To The Big Easy!
- Baseball card collage table
- Malm bed goes glam
- Spring Magic at the Mansion
- How to install a dimmer switch.
- Customised bay window desk
- Grain Sack Pillow Giveaway!!!!
- Meeting Mr. Hadley
- Gorm and the wash basin
- Four ca-ute projects under $5!
- Benjamille Chair
- Home is where the start is...
- Suzanne Kasler: Inspired Interiors
- Handsome makeover for ugly AC unit
- You know what Spring means!!
- Chic Château Boucéel
- Happy Spring!
- My most favorite room.
- Billy bookcases as room dividers
- All in a Day's Work
- The Romance Of Italy - Rimini's Grand Hotel
- Head cushions for the sofa
- Photo Shoot Fun
- My priorities are whacked.
- Broder-Lack Freestanding Shelving
- Going Gray
- Multi-tiered charging station
- Perfect Paris Penthouse
- How I stencil
- Dual personalities: LEGO table on one side, work s...
- Historic Racing Club
- Valentino: The Last Emperor
- Giveaways, Contests and Facebook! (OH MY!)
- Creating a DVD wall with lighting
- Another Billy pantry
- Industrial Kitchen Stools For All Styles
- Thad Hayes: The Tailored Interior
- Designer to Watch: Courtney Giles
- Using Ballard Designs as inspiration
- Flaren stealth cat litter box
- "Peep"-ing at Orange
- 2009 Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse Designer: Willia...
- Need kitchen space? Get a cart
- How to deal with soaring ceilings
- Flea Market Finds
- Bowling alley chair hack
- Stephen Sills Associates
- All about molding!
- French Country Living in Normandy
- Billy finds new purpose as a pantry
- A trim Lack stereo shelf
- Oh Baby!
- Gratuitous Cute Boy Post
- Don't be afraid!
- Loft and bedroom with kickass desks
- Style Star Lili Diallo
- Customised bulletin board
- Art in Design
- Art Smart: March Ugallery Picks
- Plenty from Lack
- Little bit of Spring!
- Designer to Watch: Katie Fine
- Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse 2009 Update
- Swedish Style Country Homes
- Spring Ahead
- ▼ March (73)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)