Erik previously gave us a discreet computer cabinet. He does it again with this handsome all black set-up. And what's a flavasoft?
He says, "Ikea is one of my favorite places, being a Swede, it's one of the few places to grab a flavasoft for a decent price. I needed an inexpensive way to hopefully make my office look nice, clean and a little bit stylish.
I liked the look of the White Liatorp book cases but they did not come in black-brown and are also very expensive compared to the Billy system. I then essentially mated some As-is Liatorp doors to a Billy, creating the look of the Liatorp for an inexpensive price.
I found all of the following in the As-is Section, but this could be assembled with raw components as well. The Liatorp glass doors are much more elegant than the traditional Billy doors, I found these for $10 each in the As-is section. They come in white and not in the Black-Brown that I needed. I used a quality Espresso colored spray paint and gave them one light coat.
Followed by a heavier coat in a Black with Satin finish. I feathered it in a manner that the brown lightly shows through in places giving it a black brown appearance.
The center desk is a Gustav Desk in black brown The desk is normally US$299 but I found one in the As-is for considerably less, There was a good chip knocked off one of the front corners, but I rotated the desk top, to place it away from view.
The base of the bookshelves are the standard Billy units. I used to black units with various amounts of damage, but was easily hide-able with the doors. The black units I found were preferable to the black brown which were more expensive.
The Liatorp doors are normally at US$125 a pair and are a bit larger than the Billy Doors, so I had to use three sets of brass hinges from the hardware store for each book case. I let the doors hang over the edge and then fastened the brass hinges behind the door and against the outside of the Billy, they remain out of sight and work functionally.
The book cases do need to be fastened to the wall as the glass doors make them front heavy and prone to tip.
In the future I am going to add some glass Billy shelves, LED lighting and a small bit of crown molding to the top of each unit to give it a bit more detail."
Other work stations you may be interested in:
- A floating computer table
- Home office makeover
- An Effektiv work station
- A computer table from a door
- Gorgeous Besta work station
- Huge 8' work desk
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Junior League House Tour
- Announcing Harry Heissmann, Inc.
- Blue and White
- Charging Station
- God made iPhones for bloggers
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Bunny Williams
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House: English Basement
- Smilla construction helmet lamp
- Fniss gadget organizer and charger
- Pardon me while I lean out the window and cut some...
- Swedish Decor in the Hamptons
- The easiest, cheapest, custom drapes EVER.
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designers: Juan Montoya, ...
- Wall shelf from a coffee table with a bonus end ta...
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Charlotte Moss
- Classic Nautical Design by Suzanne Kasler
- Little updates
- Kiddy hacks
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House: Bathrooms
- Getting the ideal laundry hamper
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Lichten Craig
- Under-sofa toy story
- A lamp transformation
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Kathy Abbott
- It's a girl thing
- Kips Bay Decorator Show House Special Events
- Lack coffee table gets a mosaic top
- Home and Garden hosts Suzanne Kasler
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House: Stairs and Landings
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Christopher Col...
- U.G.L.Y. (DIY shower curtain)
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Eileen Kathryn ...
- Spring Has Finally Sprung!
- Spinning version inspired by CB2's Arch Magazine R...
- Garage sale season is here!
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Donald Schermer...
- Josh's restaurant wall art
- A new room to decorate -- help me decide!
- 2009 Kips Bay Show House Designer: Garrow Kedigian...
- A bright spark for the Gestalta
- Kips Bay Decorator Show House Preview
- Liatorp-Billy fusion book cases
- Spring Fever
- Swede Hill - Green on Block Island
- Make a sofa table for under $20. (For real.)
- Pax wardrobe toy storage
- Green Acres
- Happy Easter!
- Transforming a Goodwill coffee table
- A woody window sill
- Visiting on Magazine Street
- April Showers
- I have...
- They had me at Hello!
- Trofast changing table
- Albert Hadley Drawings for Sale!
- Thank you!
- I will spray paint ANYTHING.
- Bathroom mirror, more than meets the eye
- The Bachelor Pad Photo Shoot Story
- The Great Debate: Laminate or hard wood?
- Sarah's chop and shove kitchen cart and circular s...
- A bouquet lamp
- Elizabeth Martin Design
- Tara Shaw Maison -The New Classics
- Three Days of the Condor
- Easy drapery tricks
- Dream Design Team
- A massive built-in project
- Snug desk in laundry room
- New York Design Center Sample Sale
- The transformation of a room.
- Art Smart: April Ugallery Picks
- Colour my kitchen!
- ▼ April (75)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)