Get into the hot seat

This has got to be the first Mercedes Benz inspired hack. Nico Mertens adds seatheating to the Poang. Now, a hack you can really warm up to.



"I have pimped my Ikea Poang with heated seating and extended the headrest to suit my purposes. The idea was born when I had a discussion with my friends about leather sofas and I found out that most girls really do like leather sofas but they didn't like the feel of cold leather. Every damn Mercedes car has seatheating installed, why does nobody include seatheatings in leather chairs or sofas? My idea was born!

It took me about 3 days of research and planning. After those 3 days I started to order the necessary material which was quite hard to get.

Necessary items:
- Ikea Poäng + Ikea Poäng stool
- Another cushion for Ikea Stool to make straps and a bag for electrics
- Seatheating deluxe edition
- Powerful notebook adapter to deliver 12 to 13,5 Volts and up to 7 Ampere. (Please go for a good one. You don't wanna burn down the house. I had a bad experience with cheap stuff)
- Little box for electrics
- Shaped Wood to extend the upper end of Poäng for a higher head rest.
- Wood to build a side controller for the seatheating
- Sewing machine
- Leather needle
- Thread in colour of the leather
- Paint
- Sandpaper 80 and 200 (rough and fine stuff)

The good old head-cushion got some extra two straps made out of another leather seat cushion for a stool and some weights were put in the end of those straps. The part of the cushion with the zip will be needed later...





Reason is simple: I wanted to be able to adjust the head-cushion so everyone who sits on it is comfortable. For the same reason I asked a friend of mine to form up some wooden parts which I placed at the former end of the Poäng.

I added another few nicely shaped pieces of wood on the side. Those parts got drilled and screwed on the chair. Then the whole chair got treated with sandpaper and was repainted. Then I spoke to somebody who was able to sew me a bag out the rest of the seat cushion from the stool. It was added to the Poäng seat and that is where all the electrics go in.





It's nice to know that if you do move houses you can still place it in the middle of a room with no annoying cables. Also useful when you want to clean up or in summer when it's hot and a seatheating is possibly not necessary.

Everyone said I am freak but now since my girlfriend's grandma sat in my pimped Ikea Poäng she spread the word and many people want one... Meanwhile I was offered an astonishing 1000,00€ from a wine consultant for that chair."

Check out this stream