i'm loving this compact tv console and mac mini desk set up that james from london sent in. it does everything a workstation needs to, yet when closed, almost disappears into the background. takes uncluttering to a new level.
james says, "we have a very small dining room which we also wanted to use to house a part-time computer desk. as we had a mac-compatible flatscreen lcd tv, and a lovely tiny mac mini, we were already half way down the line to super-minimalism. the solution was to adapt a faktum 92 x 40 kitchen wall cabinet with its abstrakt door (note: i can't find the faktum on ikea's site but the akurum works the same).
the unit has been reduced in width, height and depth (in fact it would have been cheaper to create the cabinet from scratch with mfc) and we've fitted ikea’s 0-protrusion blum hinges so the two surfaces (the base of the cabinet and the door when opened) align correctly. two brass stays hold the desk/door horizontal.
i would have got chromed stays but i can't find any. there is an additional little flap, made from a strip cut off the depth of the cabinet, which makes the desk deep enough to comfortably use a mousemat.
when it’s all folded up, the cupboard is almost invisible and less than 20cm deep, and is perfect just for tv watching. the keyboard, mouse etc and all the cables fit inside the cabinet – there's trunking running along the inside top, and of course the broadband is wireless, so only one power cable needs to exit the cabinet which runs the tv and mac together. we’re understandably proud of it!"
Thursday, August 30, 2007
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- concrete and wood side table
- unclutter your desk with this super minimal set up...
- Bon Voyage!
- Slim Aarons' Wonderful Life
- how's this for a big capacity laundry bin?
- Habitually Chic Hotel: JK Place
- a touch of glass for the humble lack side table
- To the Manor Born
- J'adore J.Crew!
- Charlotte Moss Townhouse - Part III
- Orange You Glad It's Friday?!
- Highland Fling
- a minimalistic desk that doesn't max out your budg...
- Absolutely Beautiful Hotel: Chateau Les Merles
- Life with Andrée
- 59cent ikea diaper bag and changing pad
- To My Shagreen
- Give Me Libertine or Give Me Death!
- Pop Paradise - Part Deux
- from drab to fab bathroom remodel
- Apres le Deluge - Part Deux
- Charity Begins at Home
- an ikea turntable ironing board
- Bibliophile Extraordinaire
- It's Raining Men
- jewelry storage and display racks
- from birch to baroque bathroom cabinet
- In Vogue
- People in Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones
- kid's chalk board table with storage
- David Jimenez: Hallmark's New Hall of Famer
- Thom Thom Club
- I Heart New York!
- In Memoriam: Brook Astor
- Charlotte Moss Townhouse - Part Deux
- Charlotte Moss Townhouse - Part One
- light table
- more fira mini chest hacks
- Picture Pages
- Orange You Glad it's the Weekend?!
- new look for the lampan lamp
- Is Philip Gorrivan the New David Hicks?
- a flat tv wall combo unit
- Yves Klein Part Deux
- Too Chic to Eat!
- ikea wall lighting stand mod
- Apres le Deluge
- Breaking the Rules is Chic!
- Fabulously Chic Darling!
- Rare Find Indeed
- Do Not Disturb
- jail cell to modern baby crib
- California Dreamin
- simple ideas for cat litter boxes
- Habitually Chic Store of the Week
- Art Imitates Life
- Thank you!
- microsoft surface started as an ikea hack
- ikeahacker joins liferemix
- Chic at the Beach
- Orange You Glad It's Friday!
- ikea catalogue 2008 is out!
- alicia's craft corner
- Show Stopping Stairs
- Slim Chic
- cook up a work-at-home desk
- Circular Chic
- dining table with vika fintorp legs
- ▼ August (68)
- ► 2006 (137)