David Hicks Gallery and Book

Did you know there is a David Hicks France gallery in Paris? Neither did I. Lucky for me, I happened to walk by it on my way to the Jardin du Luxembourg on the last day of my trip. David Hicks designs have been emulated and expanded on by many designers over the years but there is nothing like seeing the originals. While new designers tend to pump up the color and kitsch factor, David Hicks original designs are much more sophisticated and interesting. He also mixed antiques with modern furniture, color and patterns which was the key to his look and it's often the antiques that are missing from the new interpretations.

In one room of the David Hicks France gallery, the bright red accents are grounded by the brown walls. You can also see one of his iconic carpet designs in the room. You can order David Hicks carpets from Stark Carpet in New York.

What I can't find is anyone in the US who sells the rest of the David Hicks line which includes furniture, lighting, and accessories. The Paris gallery also have wallpaper patterns I haven't seen anywhere else.

The David Hicks France gallery was such a great find and there was so much to look at that I felt like a kid in a candy store! I definitely wait to go back!

If you can't get to Paris to experience David Hicks designs in person then I recommend the new book, David Hicks: A Life of Design by his son Ashley Hicks. I've already been enjoying it and all the new photos of his work. Although his style was considered radical at the time, it now seems timeless to me as you can see in the following interiors. I just wish we had a David Hicks gallery in the US so everyone could appreciate his work in person!

My greatest contribution as an interior designer has been to show people how to use bold color mixtures, how to use patterned carpets, how to light rooms, and how to mix old with new. - David Hicks, 1968



Check out this stream