I'm heading out early today to the D&D Building to participate in the panel discussion, The Evolution of Design, at 9:00am so I thought I should you something to look at while I am away. I've been thinking about this apartment that Miles Redd decorated and thought it would be fun to revisit it. House Beautiful published it in the July 2009 issue but as I've mentioned before, I love to see the photos outside of the magazine and laid out as they would be in the apartment. Then you can get a sense of the flow and how the colors move throughout the space. The colors are fantastic and the lacquered walls in the living room are to die for.
Elle Decor asked a few women designers in the November 2009 issue questions including how they would advise someone starting out in the business. Charlotte Moss and Kelly Wearstler had similar responses while included among other things, train your eye by reading magazines, looking at books, going to museums, and traveling. I would like to suggest studying the work of designers you admire as well. Then ask yourself why do you like their work? What did they do that you would never have thought of? What colors did they mix the room or house? How did they arrange the furniture? As I've heard from my readers, a lot of them want to work in design but might not have the funds to go to school right now but there is a lot you can learn on your own for free from top designers!
So I leave you with this gorgeous apartment to ponder and peruse while I away all day. Please behave yourself and don't break anything. I don't want to have to come back and ground you! See you later!
Photos by Thomas Loof
- ► 2010 (1372)
- Black Magic
- Invest in Your Nest with Mitchell Gold & Bob Willi...
- One for the coop
- Built-in Besta entertainment center
- (Almost) free Halloween decor
- Michael Smith at Samuel & Sons
- iMac computer desk
- Halloween costume - Toxic barrel of waste
- Valorie's Room in the Semi Finals!
- Temporarily Under Construction
- Designing Woman
- Low budget network cabinet
- Jardin du Luxembourg
- Women in Design
- Halloween goes East
- A dining room reveal!
- Movable laptop desk
- Metallic pumpkins!
- Thomas O'Brien's American Vintage Modern Casually ...
- Another great giveaway!
- Ecomodder Ikea LED hack
- Pyrography your kitchen utensil
- Suzanne Kasler's Inspired Interior at High Point
- Lack Drafting Table
- Alexa Hampton for Hickory Chair
- How to reupholster dining room chairs!
- Inspired by Christopher Peacock!
- Patrull Lathe splashguard
- High Point Highlights
- The most beautiful light (and a winner!)
- Easy soap stand
- The lowdown on the Expedit TV unit
- A mantel, spookified!
- High Point Here I Come!
- Why Don't You...
- Giveaway weekend!
- L.L. Bean Gets Chic!
- Armani Casa
- Antonius cable manager
- The table is set.
- Gorm pedalboard for guitarists
- Habitually Chic Q&A with Margaret Russell
- Hutten wine storage in Expedit unit
- Rewind: My nemesis (cords!)
- Jack Rogers Online
- Stolmen vertical pot rack
- Pierre Frey in New York
- The Sophisticated Helen Green
- Pierre Frey in Paris
- The Etsy site is LIVE!
- Cool it with this media unit
- Like Mother Like Daughter
- Stinkin' cute Halloween!
- Free paint! Get yer free paint!
- Chic Cyclists
- Nine in November
- Giveaway Winner!
- The Evolution of Design Panel Recap
- Craft cabinet
- It's my birthday and you all rawk!
- Ingo and Stefan dining set hack
- Dinner with the Prince of Chintz
- A dining hutch redo and fall fillers!
- Let's Revisit Miles Redd
- Alex gets a facelift
- Roman Flair
- Hide your cables in a Vattern
- Billy revisited
- I Wish!
- Fall favorites!
- Farrow & Ball and HC Throw a Party!
- David Hicks Gallery and Book
- How to Add "Bling" and a Giveaway!
- Fall decor for the outdoors!
- La Maison d'Hermes
- Palais Royal
- A Perfect Backdrop
- Finally, an ergonomic desk!
- A Night and Home to Remember!
- Kortnei's kitchen consultation -- before and after...
- DJ turntable setup out Ikea media center
- ▼ October (84)
- ► 2008 (726)
- ► 2007 (531)
- ► 2006 (137)