small spaces are always a challenge, especially in the kitchen. you have no place to store the 72pc dining set mom gave, let alone have room for a dining table. kate with some ikea hacking solved her small problem.
"i have a teeny tiny studio apartment with an even tinier kitchen, which has virtually no counter space or storage at all. i had no room for a full size table, and i needed something to do double duty. the only space available for all of this is the entrance to the kitchen area, less than 5' long, and i had to leave some space open to walk through!
the billsta square table top was the perfect shape - right width, right depth, and suitably kitchen-feeling. however, the base it was grouped with is a pedestal, which would mean losing all of the space underneath for storage. so i got 4 vika kaj legs instead. the table is pre-drilled for the pedestal base, but the wood is very soft and attaching the vika legs was easy. one caveat - the bolts that come with the legs are too long for the billsta table, you need to get shorter ones from a hardware store. the colors of the table and the legs are a perfect match for the franklin folding bar stool. i got a cheap andy rolling cart to put underneath, it's great for storing my utensils and my potatoes!
for a little more storage space, i put some jarpen shelves up on what seemed like an annoying small wall that juts out in the kitchen area. i had a magnetic spice rack set, which came with a square metal base that stands up on a counter, but to save space i used a magnetic strip from an ikea desk accessory that came with magnets for hanging notes in your workspace. i think the spices look even better this way than with the original holder.
my apartment is one of those "i live in an ikea catalog" type spaces; i'm particularly happy with the dignitet curtain system. It makes my little living space seem bigger, and less like i'm sleeping in my living room."
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- You Are Where You Eat
- high kitchen countertop with storage drawers
- The Domino Book of Decorating
- Sue Hostetler's Hip New York Home
- start your day with coffee in bed
- I Heart Bryan Ferry
- Domino Bazaar to Benefit ACRIA
- peter reborn as a floor lamp
- Heartbroken over Goteborg
- make it smell good again
- pierre and christine's "love again" couch
- uglydolls demonstrate against ugly sofa
- a new slipcover for silke?
- Stalking Albert Hadley
- Habitually Chic Interview
- harald pimps ikea for his mac mini
- gaelle's grey sofa to go red
- a new klippan slipcover on the menu?
- lavanya's sofa that nobody wants to sit on
- ikea hack on YouTube
- Chic at Sotheby's
- Chic Inspiration
- can't afford a wedding centerpiece? hack one from ...
- maureen's sad sofa story
- poekie wants a new slipcover to sharpen its nails
- bree's sofa and the jealous cat
- sandra's slipcover request
- chelsea's chocolate brown wish
- The Golden Age of Couture
- I Heart Assouline
- the music cube plays on
- save john from his purple karlanda sofa?
- amanda's dingy klippan to get new slipcover?
- It's Domino Day!
- hack bedside tables into music studio racks
- kate's storage ideas for a small kitchen
- Chic and the City
- will yeonwoo win the case for a new klippan slipco...
- Habitually Chic Artist: James Nares
- a pronomen bath tub surround
- share your home on America at Home
- Chic Chinoiserie
- how to fit a larger tv into your old media unit
- pamela to win symmetry light olive green slipcover...
- Give Them What They Didn't Know They Wanted!
- Carolina Herrera + Jeremiah Goodman = Perfection
- diy a room divider from ivar units
- nancy to win matching slipcovers?
- A Few of My Favorite Things
- Man About Town: Robert Burke
- unclutter with a norrebo unit
- The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem
- I Heart Gilles Mendel
- Letter from the Editor
- Thoroughly Modern Milly
- lots of photos? here's an easy way to show them of...
- simone and bubo to win eggshell blue sofa slipcove...
- turn servers into planters
- Habitually Chic Designers: Loeffler Randall
- a chocolate slipcover for liz and cthulhu?
- a kandell pilaster shelf look-a-like for $39.99
- Tonne Tonne Tonne
- Carlos Souza Part Deux: Rome
- Carlos Souza Part One: New York
- what to do when you no longer love orange
- make a light tent for small object photography
- Feel like a woman...wear a dress!
- It's Fashion Week!!!
- win a customized bemz slipcover
- $20 customizable laptop stand
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
- Jail House Rock
- sofa table from salvaged ikea table legs
- shelf and brackets make a cool coffee table
- james' minimalist desk - get the how to!
- ▼ September (76)
- ► 2006 (137)