We buy a lot of things from auctions for our clients so I'm often perusing the catalogs. Even if you don't buy anything, I think they are a great resource for design ideas and a reference for custom pieces. There's a great photo of Kelly Wearstler from her book Domicilium Decoratus of her lying around reading auction catalogs. I get the feeling she's a serious buyer.
Anyway, the point of my post is that while flipping through the 20th Century Decorative Arts Selected by Gordon Watson sale catalog for the Sotheby's auction tomorrow in London, I came across the screen above designed by Robert Crowder. I'm more of a modern kind of girl but for some reason I really love this screen and technically, it is modern since it was made in the 1960's. The description from the catalog is pretty interesting too.
"Crowder, an American, first visited Japan in 1934. The trip began a lifelong love affair with the country and its art. His training with the great painters Shunko Mochizuki and Shimamoto-sensei served him well after his repatriation to the United States in 1943. After a brief stay in Chicago, Crowder moved west, opening a gallery in Los Angeles in the neighbourhood of Greta Garbo and other Hollywood legends. He quickly became famous for his screens and fabulous textiles, which as recently as 2005 were ordered for an international redecoration of the Chanel boutiques."
In a continuation of the story, the expansion and redesign of the Chanel boutique by Peter Marino won an AIA Institute Honor Award for Interior Architecture in 2005. The only photos I can find are very modern so I have no idea what they did with the screens and textiles mentioned in the catalog but I still think it's interesting. So the moral of this story is, check out an auction catalog, you never know what you might find!
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- You Are Where You Eat
- high kitchen countertop with storage drawers
- The Domino Book of Decorating
- Sue Hostetler's Hip New York Home
- start your day with coffee in bed
- I Heart Bryan Ferry
- Domino Bazaar to Benefit ACRIA
- peter reborn as a floor lamp
- Heartbroken over Goteborg
- make it smell good again
- pierre and christine's "love again" couch
- uglydolls demonstrate against ugly sofa
- a new slipcover for silke?
- Stalking Albert Hadley
- Habitually Chic Interview
- harald pimps ikea for his mac mini
- gaelle's grey sofa to go red
- a new klippan slipcover on the menu?
- lavanya's sofa that nobody wants to sit on
- ikea hack on YouTube
- Chic at Sotheby's
- Chic Inspiration
- can't afford a wedding centerpiece? hack one from ...
- maureen's sad sofa story
- poekie wants a new slipcover to sharpen its nails
- bree's sofa and the jealous cat
- sandra's slipcover request
- chelsea's chocolate brown wish
- The Golden Age of Couture
- I Heart Assouline
- the music cube plays on
- save john from his purple karlanda sofa?
- amanda's dingy klippan to get new slipcover?
- It's Domino Day!
- hack bedside tables into music studio racks
- kate's storage ideas for a small kitchen
- Chic and the City
- will yeonwoo win the case for a new klippan slipco...
- Habitually Chic Artist: James Nares
- a pronomen bath tub surround
- share your home on America at Home
- Chic Chinoiserie
- how to fit a larger tv into your old media unit
- pamela to win symmetry light olive green slipcover...
- Give Them What They Didn't Know They Wanted!
- Carolina Herrera + Jeremiah Goodman = Perfection
- diy a room divider from ivar units
- nancy to win matching slipcovers?
- A Few of My Favorite Things
- Man About Town: Robert Burke
- unclutter with a norrebo unit
- The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem
- I Heart Gilles Mendel
- Letter from the Editor
- Thoroughly Modern Milly
- lots of photos? here's an easy way to show them of...
- simone and bubo to win eggshell blue sofa slipcove...
- turn servers into planters
- Habitually Chic Designers: Loeffler Randall
- a chocolate slipcover for liz and cthulhu?
- a kandell pilaster shelf look-a-like for $39.99
- Tonne Tonne Tonne
- Carlos Souza Part Deux: Rome
- Carlos Souza Part One: New York
- what to do when you no longer love orange
- make a light tent for small object photography
- Feel like a woman...wear a dress!
- It's Fashion Week!!!
- win a customized bemz slipcover
- $20 customizable laptop stand
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
- Jail House Rock
- sofa table from salvaged ikea table legs
- shelf and brackets make a cool coffee table
- james' minimalist desk - get the how to!
- ▼ September (76)
- ► 2006 (137)