Sunday, September 9, 2007
I thought I would continue the "I hate them because their homes are beautiful" theme that has taken over my coverage of the domiciles of the stylish during fashion week with the townhouse of Tonne Goodman and her family. For those of you who don't know, Tonne is a former model and current fashion director at Vogue. Reason enough to hate her but she lives in one of the most amazing homes in Greenwich Village, a neighborhood I am longing to live in as well.
She found the townhouse in a state that had been barely altered in more than 150 years, a rare find in renovation-crazy New York and worked with architect Michael Watson to create a family friendly yet aesthetically pleasing home. Anyone who's seen Tonne can attest that her fashion style is "minimalist, classic, contemporary and unadorned" as is her decorating style. "I was always impressed with the Italian approach that mixed pure modernism with original classic elements in period buildings, and I thought this was the perfect space in which to achieve that."
Anyone who's read my blog knows that I too love period architectural details juxtaposed with clean and classic furnishings and Tonne has definitely accomplished that look in her townhouse. In the upstairs landing above, a mid-century string upholstered chaise sits next to a giltwood framed mirror that is original to the house. Even her rowing machine is minimal and aesthetically pleasing in it's environment.
Tonne, like everyone at Vogue, is pretty well connected. Her husband is a Gimbel of the Gimbel's department story family and the step-son of director Sydney Lumet. She was also discovered by Diana Vreeland and become friends with her sons, Alexander and Nicky, the latter of whom became a Buddhist monk and lives upstairs in the townhouse. How's that for impressive?!
I love this townhouse and I think it lives up to it's past grandeur with some decoration but a lovely pared down aesthetic that is never cold or severe. I think she definitely achieved her desire for "a pure and beautiful space where the proportions were right, but the kids could mess it up if they needed to." Just hope she cleans up before Anna Wintour stops by!
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- You Are Where You Eat
- high kitchen countertop with storage drawers
- The Domino Book of Decorating
- Sue Hostetler's Hip New York Home
- start your day with coffee in bed
- I Heart Bryan Ferry
- Domino Bazaar to Benefit ACRIA
- peter reborn as a floor lamp
- Heartbroken over Goteborg
- make it smell good again
- pierre and christine's "love again" couch
- uglydolls demonstrate against ugly sofa
- a new slipcover for silke?
- Stalking Albert Hadley
- Habitually Chic Interview
- harald pimps ikea for his mac mini
- gaelle's grey sofa to go red
- a new klippan slipcover on the menu?
- lavanya's sofa that nobody wants to sit on
- ikea hack on YouTube
- Chic at Sotheby's
- Chic Inspiration
- can't afford a wedding centerpiece? hack one from ...
- maureen's sad sofa story
- poekie wants a new slipcover to sharpen its nails
- bree's sofa and the jealous cat
- sandra's slipcover request
- chelsea's chocolate brown wish
- The Golden Age of Couture
- I Heart Assouline
- the music cube plays on
- save john from his purple karlanda sofa?
- amanda's dingy klippan to get new slipcover?
- It's Domino Day!
- hack bedside tables into music studio racks
- kate's storage ideas for a small kitchen
- Chic and the City
- will yeonwoo win the case for a new klippan slipco...
- Habitually Chic Artist: James Nares
- a pronomen bath tub surround
- share your home on America at Home
- Chic Chinoiserie
- how to fit a larger tv into your old media unit
- pamela to win symmetry light olive green slipcover...
- Give Them What They Didn't Know They Wanted!
- Carolina Herrera + Jeremiah Goodman = Perfection
- diy a room divider from ivar units
- nancy to win matching slipcovers?
- A Few of My Favorite Things
- Man About Town: Robert Burke
- unclutter with a norrebo unit
- The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem
- I Heart Gilles Mendel
- Letter from the Editor
- Thoroughly Modern Milly
- lots of photos? here's an easy way to show them of...
- simone and bubo to win eggshell blue sofa slipcove...
- turn servers into planters
- Habitually Chic Designers: Loeffler Randall
- a chocolate slipcover for liz and cthulhu?
- a kandell pilaster shelf look-a-like for $39.99
- Tonne Tonne Tonne
- Carlos Souza Part Deux: Rome
- Carlos Souza Part One: New York
- what to do when you no longer love orange
- make a light tent for small object photography
- Feel like a woman...wear a dress!
- It's Fashion Week!!!
- win a customized bemz slipcover
- $20 customizable laptop stand
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
- Jail House Rock
- sofa table from salvaged ikea table legs
- shelf and brackets make a cool coffee table
- james' minimalist desk - get the how to!
- ▼ September (76)
- ► 2006 (137)