a story of second chances - for love and for sofas.
"We are two ikea-fans living in rainy Vancouver, BC. Our Nikkala was purchased upwards of 10 years ago, when Pierre was living in Paris. He purchased it with his then-girlfriend, with whom he was just moving in with. Orange is Pierre's favourite colour, and he is a huge movie buff - as other Nikkala owners have attested, the couch is perfect for lounging and watching a movie. The couch's moderate size also made it perfect for lugging up and down flights of stairs, as the majority of apartments in Paris don't have elevators and are often five or six flights up. Besides a couple of moves, the couch's destruction began with the claws of Pierre's girlfriend's cat, Tsunami, laying the ground work for years of further destruction.
Pierre and his girlfriend got married a few years later and moved to San Francisco together, shipping the Nikkala with them – six months spent on a container ship to get to the US before they finally got their furniture delivered. The couch saw them both adjust to a new country, learn a new language, and come to love the city of steep hills and 4 'o clock fog. But after a few years disaster struck – Pierre lost his job (and consequently the right to stay in the country) at the same time as his marriage was dissolving. When his then ex-wife moved back to France, he packed up his stuff and took a job opportunity in Vancouver, looking for a fresh start. The Nikkala got packed into a truck once again and made another cross-country journey.
That was four years ago, and Pierre and I met shortly afterward. We spent many evenings on that couch as we got to know each other and eventually fell in love. Two and a half years ago we moved in together and the Nikkala had a feline friend once again. Our cat Lola has sped up the demise of the current slipcover, bringing it to it's current state.
Once a vibrant orange, our faded-peach friend is still incredibly comfy and the frame and cushions are in great shape. We've also since trained our cat to not destroy the couch in the future by purchasing her a proper scratching post and putting double-sided tape on the couch to break her habits. We would love to give this couch a second chance just as Pierre had his chance a few years ago. We've chosen a nice graphite grey to contrast our bright colours in the carpet and the cushions, and we think this will be stain and wear resistant – not to mention really classy.
We hope we can give our Nikkala a chance for love again! Thanks!" - Christine & Pierre
want to win $500 to spend at bemz? here's how to send in your entry.
click here to view all entries.
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- You Are Where You Eat
- high kitchen countertop with storage drawers
- The Domino Book of Decorating
- Sue Hostetler's Hip New York Home
- start your day with coffee in bed
- I Heart Bryan Ferry
- Domino Bazaar to Benefit ACRIA
- peter reborn as a floor lamp
- Heartbroken over Goteborg
- make it smell good again
- pierre and christine's "love again" couch
- uglydolls demonstrate against ugly sofa
- a new slipcover for silke?
- Stalking Albert Hadley
- Habitually Chic Interview
- harald pimps ikea for his mac mini
- gaelle's grey sofa to go red
- a new klippan slipcover on the menu?
- lavanya's sofa that nobody wants to sit on
- ikea hack on YouTube
- Chic at Sotheby's
- Chic Inspiration
- can't afford a wedding centerpiece? hack one from ...
- maureen's sad sofa story
- poekie wants a new slipcover to sharpen its nails
- bree's sofa and the jealous cat
- sandra's slipcover request
- chelsea's chocolate brown wish
- The Golden Age of Couture
- I Heart Assouline
- the music cube plays on
- save john from his purple karlanda sofa?
- amanda's dingy klippan to get new slipcover?
- It's Domino Day!
- hack bedside tables into music studio racks
- kate's storage ideas for a small kitchen
- Chic and the City
- will yeonwoo win the case for a new klippan slipco...
- Habitually Chic Artist: James Nares
- a pronomen bath tub surround
- share your home on America at Home
- Chic Chinoiserie
- how to fit a larger tv into your old media unit
- pamela to win symmetry light olive green slipcover...
- Give Them What They Didn't Know They Wanted!
- Carolina Herrera + Jeremiah Goodman = Perfection
- diy a room divider from ivar units
- nancy to win matching slipcovers?
- A Few of My Favorite Things
- Man About Town: Robert Burke
- unclutter with a norrebo unit
- The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem
- I Heart Gilles Mendel
- Letter from the Editor
- Thoroughly Modern Milly
- lots of photos? here's an easy way to show them of...
- simone and bubo to win eggshell blue sofa slipcove...
- turn servers into planters
- Habitually Chic Designers: Loeffler Randall
- a chocolate slipcover for liz and cthulhu?
- a kandell pilaster shelf look-a-like for $39.99
- Tonne Tonne Tonne
- Carlos Souza Part Deux: Rome
- Carlos Souza Part One: New York
- what to do when you no longer love orange
- make a light tent for small object photography
- Feel like a woman...wear a dress!
- It's Fashion Week!!!
- win a customized bemz slipcover
- $20 customizable laptop stand
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
- Jail House Rock
- sofa table from salvaged ikea table legs
- shelf and brackets make a cool coffee table
- james' minimalist desk - get the how to!
- ▼ September (76)
- ► 2006 (137)