another cat and owner needing a new slipcover! which is why i only keep fish.
simone says: "Well, I'm sure the first thing you notice about the slipcover in the picture is that... there is none.
I found a cat (he of the glowing eyes in the picture) in the garage of my apartment building. He was meowing pitifully, obviously starving, and filthy dirty. As I tried coaxing him into a cat carrier to take him home, someone from my building walked by. She recognized the cat as her neighbors' and went upstairs to tell them I'd found their cat. She came back minutes later to tell me that they knew it was out there; they'd let it out because they didn't want it any more.
I was determined to catch the cat and give him a good home. It took a week of sitting in the garage in the evenings, feeding him, and eventually petting him before I could get him in the cat carrier and bring him up to my apartment. When I got him home, I cleaned him up, fed him, and named him Bubo (short for Bubonic -- his fur color and his condition made him seem like the Black Death when I found him!). He was a good cat... until he had an accident or two on the couch.
I took the stained cover off my Ektorp sofa and washed it to get the stains and smell out. I risked tumble-drying it because there's no way for me to line dry the entire cover in my apartment with no balcony or yard. And unfortunately... it disintegrated. The lining of the cover for the body of the couch fell apart, causing the cover to pull away from the sofa and crumple onto the floor next to it. The smell wouldn't come out of the cushion covers, either. I ended up tossing the entire cover.
I took Bubo to the vet and got him fixed. Since then, he's been a model cat citizen. But his surgery cost so much that I couldn't afford to replace the couch cover. I put a blanket over it (as you can see). It's been working out all right so far, and the smell in the cushions has gone away.
This contest is the perfect opportunity to get my living room looking good again. I picked the Bolster Stripe Eggshell Blue pattern because the beige will lighten up the room, the blue will match the rug (also from IKEA!), and the black stripes will help disguise any kitty fur Bubo sheds while snuggling up with me."
want to win $500 to spend at bemz? here's how to send in your entry.
click here to view all entries.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
- ► 2010 (1372)
- ► 2009 (952)
- ► 2008 (726)
- You Are Where You Eat
- high kitchen countertop with storage drawers
- The Domino Book of Decorating
- Sue Hostetler's Hip New York Home
- start your day with coffee in bed
- I Heart Bryan Ferry
- Domino Bazaar to Benefit ACRIA
- peter reborn as a floor lamp
- Heartbroken over Goteborg
- make it smell good again
- pierre and christine's "love again" couch
- uglydolls demonstrate against ugly sofa
- a new slipcover for silke?
- Stalking Albert Hadley
- Habitually Chic Interview
- harald pimps ikea for his mac mini
- gaelle's grey sofa to go red
- a new klippan slipcover on the menu?
- lavanya's sofa that nobody wants to sit on
- ikea hack on YouTube
- Chic at Sotheby's
- Chic Inspiration
- can't afford a wedding centerpiece? hack one from ...
- maureen's sad sofa story
- poekie wants a new slipcover to sharpen its nails
- bree's sofa and the jealous cat
- sandra's slipcover request
- chelsea's chocolate brown wish
- The Golden Age of Couture
- I Heart Assouline
- the music cube plays on
- save john from his purple karlanda sofa?
- amanda's dingy klippan to get new slipcover?
- It's Domino Day!
- hack bedside tables into music studio racks
- kate's storage ideas for a small kitchen
- Chic and the City
- will yeonwoo win the case for a new klippan slipco...
- Habitually Chic Artist: James Nares
- a pronomen bath tub surround
- share your home on America at Home
- Chic Chinoiserie
- how to fit a larger tv into your old media unit
- pamela to win symmetry light olive green slipcover...
- Give Them What They Didn't Know They Wanted!
- Carolina Herrera + Jeremiah Goodman = Perfection
- diy a room divider from ivar units
- nancy to win matching slipcovers?
- A Few of My Favorite Things
- Man About Town: Robert Burke
- unclutter with a norrebo unit
- The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem
- I Heart Gilles Mendel
- Letter from the Editor
- Thoroughly Modern Milly
- lots of photos? here's an easy way to show them of...
- simone and bubo to win eggshell blue sofa slipcove...
- turn servers into planters
- Habitually Chic Designers: Loeffler Randall
- a chocolate slipcover for liz and cthulhu?
- a kandell pilaster shelf look-a-like for $39.99
- Tonne Tonne Tonne
- Carlos Souza Part Deux: Rome
- Carlos Souza Part One: New York
- what to do when you no longer love orange
- make a light tent for small object photography
- Feel like a woman...wear a dress!
- It's Fashion Week!!!
- win a customized bemz slipcover
- $20 customizable laptop stand
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
- Jail House Rock
- sofa table from salvaged ikea table legs
- shelf and brackets make a cool coffee table
- james' minimalist desk - get the how to!
- ▼ September (76)
- ► 2006 (137)