New Year's Resolution #1: Clean out the Closet!

One of the reasons that I stay in my small one bedroom apartment is the closet. As far as New York City closets go, it's a large one with an eight foot long pole for hanging clothes and floor to ceiling shelves behind it, not to mention a storage area on top on the entire thing. Of course that means that clothing can be put away, never to be seen from again. Which poses a problem when one actually wants to find something! My number one New Year's resolutions is to clean out the black hole of apparel. I've already donated and given away a lot and now I'm selling the good stuff on eBay. Looking at these chic closets is giving me motivation to keep going until the task is finally completed! If cleaning out the closet is on your list of resolutions, I hope they inspire you as well!

Vivre founder Eva Jeanbart-Lorenzotti has Rolls Royce of closets that I think is the favorite of every blogger!

I hope Eva pays her cleaning woman well because I have a feeling that she helps keep the closet so tidy and organized!

I hope I have this much beautiful jewelry someday and an equally beautiful bureau to stash it all!

Rory Tahari also an equally neat closet. I think the colorful clothes must reside in a different section.

Funny how all woman and Padma Lakshmi above, have so many pairs of jeans when we usually wear the same pair all the time. Statistics say we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time. Another reason to clean out what you don't wear and probably never will!

I wonder if the closet in Olivia Palermo's closet is bigger that her last one. She has an enviable wardrobe and style in spades!

Rachel Zoe looks like she could straighten up her closet a little but I guess she is too busy styling stars to bother!

The LA closet of Sally Perrin is also filled with vintage finds just like those of Olivia and Rachel.

You could probably eat off the floor in Heather Kerzner's closet, it's that clean!

One of the best closets belongs to Julie Janklow. She and her husband Luke supposedly took their townhouse off the market so she gets to enjoy it a little longer!

Another favorite belongs to fashionista and fashion designer Tory Burch. I think the doors are chic but I like to be able to see everything I own. The center island would come in handy though!

This client of Steven Gambrel has two islands! I'm assuming they are his and hers. So jealous! Those leather handles are to die for!

Olivia Chantecaille was married last year so I wonder if she also moved and has a new closet now. I would have asked her when I saw her shopping in Flair a few months ago but I'm not that nosy!

Then there are those for whom a closet doesn't offer enough space and they create an entire dressing room. Jenna Lyons of J.Crew has a pretty spectacular one!

Kate Lee Joel also had an enviable closet papered in real gold leaf.

Wonder what her closet looks like now that she's getting divorced and probably moved out.

Aerin Lauder has one of the most coveted closets in blogland due to the Gracie wallpaper. I personally love juxtaposition of the pretty paper and the vintage Italian gold desk from the 1970's designed by Gabriella Crespi.

Another pretty wallpapered closet belongs to Charlotte boutique owner Laura Vinroot Poole.

There are still rumblings that Tinsely and Topper Mortimer are getting divorced. If so, I hope she gets the apartment since the blue and white wallpaper are a bit girly for Topper!


A way to save on costs is to just wallpaper one wall as interior designer Erinn Valencich has done.

Or you could wallpaper a small closet and it's door like this one seen in Domino magazine.

Don't forget the little people when decorating closets with wallpaper! I love what Ruthie Sommers did to her daughters' closet. And after looking at these pretty papers, maybe I do want to move so I can wallpaper my own closet! We'll have to work on that! Happy Cleaning!

Check out this stream