Young Designer to Watch: Elizabeth Bauer

One of things that makes me happy are all the wonderful comments and emails that I receive from my readers everyday. A lovely note came on December 31st from one of my readers in France who said, "I love the way you write about other designers without any jealousy, au contraire, you are always so enthusiastic about other peoples work." As we all know, there aren't that many magazines left for designers to have their work published so I consider myself lucky to have a public forum to tell another designer how much I appreciated their hard work or to give a young designer some much needed publicity. I also love giving my design friends a shout out on their accomplishments!

Today I am especially happy to announce that my friend Elizabeth Bauer was named one of Traditional Home's 20 Young Designers to watch! That's a bedroom she designed above! Elizabeth is one of those great people that you meet for the first time, in my case at last year's Design on a Dime, and feel like you've known forever! She started out working for a designer on Nantucket and now has her own successful design firm in New York as well as a fabulous shop in the West Village.

I told Elizabeth that I like to describe her shop as Paris meets Palm Beach which she loved since those are two of her favorite cities! The shop combines her vintage finds with lots of bold patterns and bright colors that look fresh and fun!

Elizabeth is also a member of one of my design groups that we have nicknamed "Decorator's Anonymous." (Hello my name is Heather and it's been four days since my last visit to the D&D!) It's wonderful to come together with other young designers who also work mostly alone. We share great vendors, business advice on things like contracts and billing, and sometimes just vent about our frustrations! As one of the other members joked, it's like AA but even better because we can drink! I encourage everyone to create a design support group in your area!

As you can see from some of the photos of Elizabeth's shop, she has lots of great artwork and accessories that work for design projects or for your own apartment! I hope you'll stop by the next time in you're in the village and if you want to be really nice, you can vote for Elizabeth for the Traditional Home Readers Choice Award! Merci!
Elizabeth Bauer Design
43 Greenwich Avenue
New York, NY 10014
212-255-8625

Check out this stream